24" outside wall stud centers

BACLLC

Go to solution Solved by solver,

I use Home Designer Pro 2021 and have this question . . .  

Is it possible to set the outside walls to have 24" on center (6") studs ? 

I figure that by having 6" wide studs on the outside wall (on 24" centers) would help with insulation here in SE Texas and that I could then use the thicker insulation in those walls.

But you may need on 16" centers for structure and local building codes.

Specially if hurricanes impact your area.

Want better insulation:

Thicker insulation layer: use 2x6 studs.

OR

keep 2x4 wall and use Spray Foam closed cell plus added benefit of less air loss which is also a good thing.

or

many ways to improve R value of wall - Talk to good builder and/or maybe engineer who specializes in improving home energy efficiencies.

Heck foaming under roof and putting attic into condition space helps AC as it is not sitting in super hot attic.

Thank you y-g-m-n 

I plan to build out in the sticks where there are no building codes (per se), but I still need to design and build the home to tried and true codes & standards.

I have another issue that I have now noticed . . . 

When I design a very limited plan (for the sake of determining the dimensions of inside and outside wall materials) I now notice that interior as well as exterior walls have their studs all on 24" centers ?

I need the outside walls to be 6" studs on 24" centers (done), and the interior walls to be 4" studs on 16" centers . . . I have tried going thru all of the default settings but ! can't figure out  where I need to make this adjustment ? 

Any help would be appreciated, if I can even do this with HD Pro 2021 ?

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I've opened and checked defaults for both "interior and exterior wall types", if I click on define the "wall settings" it shows 24" centers on exterior walls and 16" on interior walls, however when I click on camera view tools and "perspective framing overview" the studs inside and outside are all 24" on center.

I am now at a loss as to what I am missing here.

As I mentioned the wall settings are "what I want" but framing view "is not".

OK, long story short . . . after I reset my pre-made "template plan" to reflect these wall type details ("edit / default settings / exterior wall or interior wall / wall types" set as such) and I redraw a new plan, the framing now shows outside walls at 24" centers and internal walls at 16" centers.

I believe by going thru all of these recommendations I missed something but I am now happy with the outcome.

It is best to set default settings on a "template plan" as I have which will then provide these specific details as I design future plans.

For some reason pre-drawn plans will not show the changes made in default settings after having been done.

10 hours ago, BACLLC said:

For some reason pre-drawn plans will not show the changes made in default settings after having been done.

Some defaults are dynamic, some are not.

The video shows changing existing walls to reflect your wants.