Need a Cape Cod roof, but missing something

Platzie

The version of Home Designer Pro doesn't have the check box: Ignore Top (First) Floor. Instead is shows: Ignore Top (3rd) Floor. How can I delete this 3rd floor? It seems that the roof somehow needs two walls in this third floor to complete the roof. I'm not sure hwt's going on. The house I'm drawing isn't 3 stories, but it does have an attic though. Thanks

This is the Cape Cod Tutorial : http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00358/52/Home-Designer/Roofs/Automatically-Building-a-One-and-a-Half-Story-Roof.html

Post the Plan Platzie ,see my sig for a link to a "How To"  Post

yes for a Cape Cod you need the automatic walls in the Attic (A) level at each gable end , but id you need to delete a whole level in Pro you can do that via Build>Floor>Delete floor   , just make sure you are on the Floor Level you want to delete before doing it.

it may have something to do with you building a foundation at level 3 previously.

M.

Pics look fine , when you take them, zooming the view in as close as possible so we can see the details is always better.

Looks like you are missing your attic walls , do you have them turned on in Display Options?  or did you delete them or ????

You are after a CapeCod right? not a two story ? did you check the ignore 2nd storey box?  did you miss a step in the Tutorial?

You can attach your Plan file to the thread ,just like you did the Pics , if you want someone to look at it for you

M.

You need to delete the 3rd floor and ALSO the second floor.   Read the Cape Cod tutorial and start over with the 2nd floor. 

Some of the wall/roof tab settings are incorrect.  Set them on the walls of the 1st floor  (pay particular attention to the front wing 'ell'). There is a tutorial for that.  Scope out the kb roof articles for info about that.

Don't draw ANY interior walls on the 2nd floor, until you have the roof and dormers correct.

You haven't provided enough info for anyone to help much...particularly concerning the back wall of the 2nd story.

Is your basic roof pitch correct?  Cape Cod roofs are usually steeper.

Does this house have a basement?

Get the entire structure correct before moving forward with any interior decorating.

You have not stated (in your signature) which version of HD Pro that you have.

post-63-0-22443200-1427737790_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Read the offered tutorial first, that contains the information you are missing.

DJP

Here is a You Tube video of me messing around with your file:

http://youtu.be/mQ2OIt-xNmQ

BTW: I did not address placing dormers, the main thing to do first is to think through your Default Settings for Dormers (such default settings are important to supporting whether or not you get a dormer created or not, the proper settings help and improper settings defeat attempts to success, read the Reference Manual, watch some Dormer Tutorials and then practice and you will then arrive)

Thanks Dave, that video was great! It is actually a customers house, but it has a shed roof off the back that I need to draw. That will fix the door issue along the back. I'm going to play with it and try and get where you did with the video. Thanks again!

the Edit toolbar and the Join Roof Planes Tool show in Plan view too ....you must have a Roof plane selected though to get the JRP Tool to show on the Edit Bar in any view, to use it properly you must select the EDGE of the roof plane you want to join on each roof plane , not the Roof Plane itself.

M.

I feel I've learned a lot from everyone's help, but that doesn't mean the house I'm trying to draw is looking right! Wathcing Youtube videos and reading the user manual doesn't completely clarify how things work. Failing at dormers, shed dormers and fireplaces. Anyway, here's my progress at a snails pace.

I've been trying to post up my drawing, but it's not working. It looks like your one on the far left. I built the interior knee walls and the roof, but no exterior walls are showing up and the roof is out of whack. I'll try and just do a screen shot.

The dormer tool's defaults need to be carefully set up before trying to create a dormer using the dromer tool. Study the dormer defaults (Edit - Default Settings - Dormer) dialog and experiment placing and failing to place a dormer until you get one. Once it is in place you van resize it to suite your purposes. There are tutorials on how to draw and set up to create a dormer manually but like a lot of things in this software the presettings need to be just so to get a good result. A good metaphor is learning to ride a bike, stay at it until you get the hang of its dynamics.

DJP