Using Pro 2015 for major addition

ethanjsmith82

Are there any general guidelines/recommendations for using Pro 2015 for renovation/addition purposes (vs new construction)?  I started with Suite using rough measurements of our existing 1920s home, just to kind of see what might be possible give the size of our plot of land.  I have since upgraded to Pro 2015.  Now I am getting ready to take real, accurate measurements of just about everything (because Pro supports customizing so many of these aspects.).  This will include size and number of the existing structural framing in the basement, etc..  The goal is to end up with plans that I can actually present to contractors to get price estimates.  Before going for permits I will have an architect/engineer check them and stamp them.

I thought I read something somewhere on here about the importance of setting the "default settings", particularly related to dimensioning.  Since I am measuring existing space should I definitely use the "measure from wall surface" option or does using that create other problems down the line?  It definitely does seem like the program overall is geared more towards new construction than renovation but I think I can still make it work for my needs.

I am thinking I will draw up a full replica of the existing home, then copy and paste that into a completely separate file and put all my additions/changes on there.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Ethan,

Default settings are always important in terms of general use of the software. The software is a mechanical device and as such it cannot tell the difference between an addition and new construction (that is one of your jobs). The software is a tool so the better you understand how it works (and fails to work) the better and more efficient you can then become useing it.

I make a relationally correct plan file of the existing house or structure, in detail and then "save as" a copy of that file to start the addition with.

It is a good idea to sketch out to scale one's intentions (either on paper or as you get better, within Pro) using 2D lines in elevation and cross section views to see how much space you want to add, ceiling heights and possible roof lines. When you are fairly sure about you preplanning then set the defaults settings that will support those moves and then start drawing.

If something looks wrong, you can be sure that there are settings that you either set wrong or forgot to predict or change.

DJP