Carriage / swing doors for garage

FlightDeck

Hi everyone, I'm wondering how / if there is a way to properly create carriage / swing doors for a garage in HDA 2015. 

I tried it by adding a garage door to the model, then changing the Door Type from "Garage" type to "Hinged" and enabling the "Double Door Only" option.  I selected a set of carriage doors from the library.  The result looks like this:

post-1560-0-74431000-1427235534_thumb.png

The issue is that it put an entire carriage door pair into each of the two swing doors—technically it put four separate doors where there should be only two.  This is visible in the image as there should be only 4 windows across the top (2 in each swing door) but instead there are 8.

Any ideas?

Thanks and regards,

KDJ

Hi Mick, I'm not understanding your first question.  It's a double swing carriage door that I want (one door on each side).  The way I did it gives me a double swing door, but the graphics are wrong because each swing door ends up with the graphics of two full carriage doors on it instead of only one.

I think you are going to have to fake it.     :blink:

In my example:  (single garage door)

I added 3 soffits (thin depth, about 2" height, 96" wide) carefully recessed into the door to hide the horizontal shadow lines where the door usually bends when it opens.

I added 1 soffit (narrow depth, narrow width, height of door, and colored grey) partially recessed into the door to simulate the center shadow line of where the door becomes 2 doors.

Then I manually added and resized the hinges and door pulls (from the library, cabinet hardware).

Cad boxes (2, colored grey) simulate the open doors.

Cad arcs (2) simulate the 'swing'.

post-63-0-00122200-1427251576_thumb.jpg

Jo_Ann, if I understand your option correctly, it's not a movable door that I can open/close and set to different opening angles.

Treenet, if I uncheck the Double Door option I get only a single door swinging from one side.

I find it bizarre that the library has so many carriage-style garage doors and yet apparently they are not supported.  Guess time for an email to support?

Thanks,

KDJ

FlightDeck,

The symbol you have chosen is a garage door symbol, and as such, it's # of windows are not alter-able.   If you have to have it showing as 'open'  (in 3d), then you will have to place it as a single hinged door, and of course it will still have 4 windows.   Place a second hinged door next to it, and merge them until the center post (between them)  no longer shows.  Now you can alter the 'open' angle in 3d.   But they will each still have 4 windows!

It is what it is.

You might find the Clopay garage door >Coachman Collection> C12-SQ24 to be acceptable.  You can still add the recessed soffits (to hide the horizontal shadow lines).

If you change the swing of the door...you will, of course,  have to change the soffits position as well.

Nice Work Jo :)

David Michael has been giving away symbols for years in his free collection he also has a Paid Collection with a $30 life time fee which is more extensive ,but you might get lucky,some are older so work in version even as old as V.10.

( he also has many symbols on the Legacy Chief Symbols Forum , if you have access)

here: http://www.davidmichaeldesigns.com/free.html

FlightDeck,

The symbol you have chosen is a garage door symbol, and as such, it's # of windows are not alter-able.   If you have to have it showing as 'open'  (in 3d), then you will have to place it as a single hinged door, and of course it will still have 4 windows.   Place a second hinged door next to it, and merge them until the center post (between them)  no longer shows.  Now you can alter the 'open' angle in 3d.   But they will each still have 4 windows!

It is what it is.

This is essentially the method I described in my original post.  Instead of creating two single doors and sliding them together until they merge, I simply checked the "Double Door Only" option, which seems to force the same outcome. 

In any case, it appears that the "carriage doors" included in the default library are only compatible with the "Garage Door" door type, which flip upward when opened.  I guess what we would need is a carriage door graphic for only one door instead the of whole pair, and then it would work. 

Thanks again,

KDJ