How do I rotate the entire house plan?

rkbengineer

I have a house plan located on my lot (using terrain boundary, trees and contours).  The property boundaries are correct according to the survey.  I have pretty much completed the design and just need to rotate my house plan while keeping the lot boundaries in place.  I have tried zooming out, selecting the entire house footprint and rotating it to the new angle.  The only problem is that the 2nd floor, attic and some of the foundation features don't rotate with it.  Since the 2nd floor didn't rotate, neither did those roof sections.  Also, the roof and roof planes are frozen due to numerous adjustments, so if those don't match up perfectly it will require a lot of work to get them back where they need to be.

How can I select the ENTIRE house, with interior objects, furnishings, etc. and have it all rotate together?  I tried rotating just the 1st floor, then tried to rotate the 2nd floor by the same amount, but things didn't line up correctly so I had to just undo.  Any advice would be appreciated.

RKB_Engineer

HD Pro 2015

Trying to move all the walls/windows/doors/roof planes/other objects etc is not recommended and you can get some pretty undesirable results doing that (wall or roof connection issues causing random things shooting out in to space is the most common).

It is much easier (and recommended) to just adjust the terrain/lot boundary instead (and throw in a North pointer for clarification if needed).

• 4 years later...

Based on this topic. I understand that it's impossible to rotate the entire house, and I understand how to rotate the survey info and north arrow for presentation purposes.  This solves the main issue, but the approach won't help when it comes to setting sun angles based on user locations and date/time.  Those sun angles will be off if you can't rotate the house onto the correct bearing and I since I'm designing a passive solar house, I want my shadows to be realistic.  Is there any way to add a correction factor to the sun angle if I use the "Use Sun Angle" tool in the "Adjust Sunligh" dialog box?  That tool lists the solar altitude and direction, which is helpful.  But if I want to "Use Generic Sun" to produce the correct sun angles, I can't just input that same information I wrote down from the "Use Sun Angle" tool.  Can you give me a methodology to convert solar angles between the two? 

When I said "DO NOT ROTATE THE HOUSE", I meant you leave the house where it is in plan view and you rotate the terrain plane and North Pointer (those objects can be selected as a group and rotated leaving the house where it is in plan view. You can rotate the house but what I am saying is that it is easier and causes NO collateral damage to rotate the terrain and North Pointer. Rotating the house is  NOT recommended as it throws the walls all into "off angles" which degrades the functioning of the house structure and dimensions.

You are welcome to shoot yourself in the head, I am merely offering the advise that doing something unnecessarily DANGEROUSLY AND A POOR PRACTICE is not warranted when you can easily and safely just rotate the Terrain plane and North pointer with NO damage or duress.

DJP

• Like 1