Need to understand how material list works

BillPagano

Currently am using Design Pro 2015 for a two story house with a full basement.  I built a basic 20 x 10 house to understand how the material list works.  I can set the color of the walls in the Edit, Defaults setting Exterior/Interior Wall Defaults like RED and set the ceiling to a White.  Then I get the material list build and they show up on the Dry Wall list with those colors.

Now I would like to change one the of Wall to a Blue color and see it show up on the materials list.  The issues I see is the program always wants to use the Color from the default setting that it uses for all the walls (RED).

Is there a way to not use the default settings for the color on each of the walls.  I have changed each wall to a different color in my model and the show up a 4 different colors when I do a Doll House view.  They just don't show up in the materials list as 4 different colors.

Would this be a limitation of Design Pro 2015?

Thanks for your inputs

Bill

Materials show up in the Materials List, colors are not materials. You would get better results setting "Default Settings" to reflect the majority situation for a floor or project, then using the Materials Tab of the Wall  Specification Dialog assign a "material" to the "Drywall" layer of the effected interior walls. The materials list will then list drywall and the paint material you apply per wall. Default Settings for majorities and local room and or Wall Dialogs for exceptions.

The Materials list merely tells you after the fact how well you created the 3D model, it measures what you did properly as  well as what was not done properly. To get useful results, you have to utterly learn the software and  how to assign materials, the materials list just measures how good a job you did and nothing more.

DJP

Yes unfortunately the ML is nothing like a normal Estimating program , it only calculate square footages etc with no waste allowances or correct calculation on things like bricks and blocks which aren't calculated by the sqft in the real world.

because you must model EXACTLY what you want in the ML it is very time comsuming , you want primer and two top coats of paint on a wall you must add them, via the walls definition tab , don't ask why the ceiling gets one coat of paint in the ML automatigically and the walls not, as nobody seems to know.

post-25-0-32812100-1427046747_thumb.jpg

It also does not account for all the "little things" you NEED , like nails,screws ,hangers,glue etc etc...

Chief is "working on it" ,but it could be 2-3 versions before good improvements are seen.  ( even Chief Premier has these issues ,it's not a limitation of Pro.

a thread that will give you more insight too

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4082-add-disclaimer-to-material-list/

The thing is, on the one hand learning to 3D model exactly like one builds makes you a better 3D modeler but like Mick said, it takes a lot more time to do. I have been working for others for over twenty years using this software and I have only had two clients that were willing to pay for that extra time to then get an accurate Materials List.

For the purpose of Construction Documentation, a "perfect" 3D Model is not required, such perfection is not necessary for a good walk-through or high resolution renders (the emphasis is on appearance and not substance). It takes about twice as long to 3D model a plan file for the purpose of an accurate ML, its up to you and your own purposes.

DJP

Once you have your plan done Bill , I would suggest downloading some trial versions of Takeoff software and do comparisons ,most have a 15 or 30 day free trial ( why I suggest doing it once finished your plan)  though in the end it maybe cheaper to just pay a good QS to do a takeoff for you ,especially if this is a one off Build. 

Plan Swift is one company others like but there are quite a few ,some even online, not sure which ones can import .plan files directly ,though most can do .dxf or PDF

https://www.google.ca/search?q=take-off+software+free+download&ei=CGEQVZyvCIfzoAS6jYDwBg

there are also several online vendors selling Excel Workbooks which likely work better for estimating vs a strict ML takeoff only, like HD Pro does.

no affiliation and I have not tried it myself though the sample PDF's look like what I would expect ,

http://thetakeoffdoctor.com/

he also do more in-depth Take offs if needed for you.

http://thetakeoffdoctor.com/takeoffs.html

other excel links

https://www.google.ca/#q=excel+takeoff+template

• Upvote 1

Guys

Thanks for all the input I would still like to fine the answer to my question and DJP I guest you can't answer it so I will work at learning more on how this programs works it maybe that the feature does not work like I think it should in Home Design Pro.  I understand very well how CAD programs work and the time it takes to understand all the features.

Regards Bill

If you want sqft's for the Plan you can do it per post no#3 by adding the Coats of paint to the Wall Layers , you have to do both Interior and exterior Walls , this can work ok if the majority of the house is the same colour , feature walls or rooms can then be done as Max suggested.

When changing Drywall "colours" , depending on what you need you may want to make new Drywall SIZES too as the Default Drywall is a 4x8 sheet , and that is what the ML uses unless you specify otherwise , it does not automatically add 10' and 12' Drywall sheets to a 10'x12' bedroom for example as would be done ITRW ( or a true estimating program.) there are 12' sheets in the library but no 10' sheets , so I copied the 12' library to my User Library and changed the 144" lengths to 120" and renamed them. Of course this would be a bit tedious to do for an entire house (specifying material for every wall) but with the ML you only get exactly what you model, as the ML isn't "intelligent" that way.

M.

Bill, why paint colors don't show up in the Material List has bothered me for two years.  After all, one of the less expensive products has got "interiors" in the name.  Be that as it may, I contacted support about this.  It seems that if you open up a room object, you have an option for "wall covering".  You can select a paint color (core or manufacturer) and apply it.  This by default gives you a band of color, again, don't know why.  But you can play with the position to cover the wall.  Do a materials list, and tada, it's there under interior trim.  I have some doubts about the square footage, but at least the color is in the list.