Joining Stair Landings to Make Winders

Naamkeek

Using Suite 2015

I need to be able to model stairs with winders like what is possible in Home Designer Pro. I've tried using landings that are reshaped into wedges and joining them so as to make winders. So far I cannot make this work. Either the wedge pieces are not joined or if they are there is no step created at the joint.

Has anyone been able to successfully make winders using something other than Pro?

The attached screenshot shows what I am trying to accomplish. The wedge shaped treads are winders-each is one step.

Thanks!

post-1244-0-73985500-1426948557_thumb.png

They have Suite David....

you are probably close ....landings must be the same width as the stairs and to each other or they wont auto join at the correct height. The fix is to "break" the edge of the landing with the "break-line tool" , assuming Suite has it? So the joining edge is the same length.

There will be info in the REF.Manual about both if Suite has this capability, if not you will likely need to manually set the landing heights on each one in it's DBX.

Do it this way you shouldn't need walls enclosing the stairwell ,which is a necessity to use the Winder Tool if you have it. 

The KB and Ref. Manuals are well worth looking at too.

M,

Draw a deck, divide into 2 rooms, make walls invsible. Set each room as shown. This gives 2 different floor heights for each set of stairs to snap to.
Draw stairs, add landing. Shape the landing. Draw 2nd set of stairs and landing.
You may need to pull back the stairs and re-snap them to the landing several times, to get them to sit correctly at the landing.
If Suite allows it, remove the railing and balusters from the landing.  
If NOT allowed, select the landing and open the dialog box.  On the materials tab, (balusters and rail) choose misc> opening (no material).

Add soffits to represent the 2 winders between the landings.  (for clarity, I have given each soffit a different color).
In my example, soffits 1,2,3,4 are angled and set to 7.5 height, 48" floor to bottom.
Soffit 5 set to 7.5 height, 55" floor to bottom.
If your steps need to show a separate tread material (like the stairs)  'copy/paste hold position' every soffit (individually) and set height of each to 1" and set  'floor to bottom'  higher
to raise them above the existing soffit they need to rest on top of.
Soffit sample color RED in my example is set to 1" height, 63" floor to bottom.  

Manually making winders is a PITA, but it's what you have to do, if that is the style that you want, with Suite or Architectural.  :)

post-63-0-91816600-1426971334_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-98318200-1426971352_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Oh wow , I assumed if you could drawings landings in Suite, that you could set their height too...... I guess not..... in versions older that 2015 anyway.

PS  with the current design in the OP , I don't believe those Stairs would meet Code. ( not,at least in my area)

M.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will reply back and let you know what has worked with my version. As an aside, in the states that I have worked in winders require that the small end of the wedge be no less than 6" which I haven't modeled yet.

Eric 

HD Suite 2015

• 5 months later...

I found this when I was searching for other stair help. I read the title, and wondered why you'd need help with "winders" around stairs. It's simple! You just go to the "Winder" button in the toolbar. It's right next to the Door button. You can select all different types of Winders. Regular winders, Bay winders, Box winders, even a Bow winder! Then you can add drapes or shades or blinds to pretty them up.

Of course joining stair landing won't make any winders.

Ha ha ha! I got a very nice laugh out of this.

Happy Designing!

Susan

• Upvote 1