Gable Roof not Generating

Colesb

Go to solution Solved by solver,

I have some old drawings I'm trying to copy using Home Designer Pro. I'm doing this to help learn the program. My problem now is that the roof on the left in the view below will not go to full gable and the roof on the right has an extra ridge. The red dots are on the problem areas. I attached pictures of what I'm trying to do also. As always, thank you for your help.   HD Main floor plan.plan

image.png

image.png

HD Main floor plan.plan

Thank you very much Gary. It looks like there are many areas of roof design that is a judgement call. I followed your video and used the room divider. Then selected the porch and removed the roof over that room. Then made new roof planes and joined them. Stretched the roofs to the ends of the porch. All was good up until this point. I will attempt to get the lines to line up like you did later. But this is where your experience with the program really shines. Do you have any way for me to make sense of what you did? Like things to think about or look out for while breaking and merging. There are so many things to consider while using the program and while it generally does an amazing job, for someone just starting out it is easy to just get lost. I didn't know about using the 2 and 3 keys, so thank you for that also. All of you that take the time to make videos are very much appreciated and you make it look so easy, but as I said before, it just ain't that easy. Have a good weekend. 

• Like 1

Eric, I just realized you were sending me to a video of my roof. Sorry I didn't pick up on that before. I thought you were just telling me to check out the dutch gable settings. Which I did and I got nothing. Now after viewing your video I see what you did for that. I'm not sure I'm smart enough to manipulate roof lines like you and Gary did, but I'll give it a shot. Please know that I really appreciate you experienced guys taking the time to help out us newbies. I'm sure I will have other questions about this same file as I complete the second floor. It has a small finished area that at least some of it is determined by the useable space between the gable joists above the garage. That's why I didn't finish the second floor before trying to work the roof.

In the video I show a Toggle Patterns tool. It may be found under the 3D menu.

Architectural and Pro allow toolbar customization. Right click on a toolbar and choose Customize Toolbars. You may create new toolbars containing tools you frequently use and place them where you like.

Toolbars will float -- drag into the drawing window, and dock in various places like the sides of the window.

• Like 1