HD Pro 2021 upgrade to HD Pro 2023 - Any Issues

AQSCI10

Hi, I currently have HD Pro 2021 and am happy with it. They are offering a deal on upgrade to 2023 and I'm considering it as they are offering a discount. Wondering if anyone has 2023 and if there are any issues with it so far.

Thanks

If you can hang in for another few months, upgrade once and go to HDP 2024 when it comes out. I have not had any major issues with 2023. A couple of little things that disappeared from 2022 to 2023, such as when you are building a deck, if you move the carrying beam to the front, raise it flush to the joists, and marked it bearing, it used to trim the other joists to be flush with the beam. So now I just delete the ones that are too long, then transform/replicate to get them all to the correct length.

Thanks Keith, I'll keep that in mind. I have no burning need to upgrade, there are a few new features that look interesting, but most are beyond my current skill level anyway so waiting for a few months for the 2024 version is certainly doable.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont bother. 

The rendering has gone backwards. I never thought Chief could get worse with the renders, but they have. They have apparently increased performance in 2022/2023 but any file size over 80MB still lags and struggles, which is rediculouly stupid compared to other design software. (like one decent plant in sketch-up is 30MB!)

The standard camera views have changed and are now hazy compared to 2021 and PBR is worse, like a grey filter over your lenz. Deep shiney black is also impossible.

The backdrop totally changes your interior to alien colours and will take you hours to get right, only to give up and eventually go with no backdrop. The actual quality of the exported pictures is also dismal.

Attic walls, or anthing, any item, thats exposed to the exerior lights up luminencent like a christmas tree including the auto built walls in PBR. It will look fine in Standard view and then suddenly its bright blue or green in PBR and takes hours to sort out because changes in PBR are so slow!

They still dont have the option to recress doors. 

They still cant make their window sills sit above the wall and theres Z-fighting

PBR 2021.jpg

PBR 2023.jpg

standard 2021.jpg

standard 2023.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 5:51 AM, Angie15 said:

The rendering has gone backwards.

I had similar issues in HDPro 2022 getting the balance right - till I found this CA video.

The commentary is done by a gentleman who is very good as a user and as an instructor - in my opinion.

I have applied the settings discussed in the video with great success.

It's well worth perseverance I feel.

Physically Based Rendering with Real-Time Ray Tracing - Bing video

Jeff.

• 6 months later...