Can't set proper height of first floor

MichaelScott

Go to solution Solved by solver,

Good Morning -  This is a two-story rebuild after a lightning strike and the second floor burned and removed. The first floor exterior walls are 8" block at 8' plus top plate. There is first floor interior framing to remain. I am redesigning the second floor and roof. I set the ceiling/floor platform at 16" to later draw in floor/ceiling trusses. I have 16" ILAM placeholders in autoframing to set that depth on the first floor ceiling and position the floor of the 2nd floor.  The roof planes draw OK.  The framing and exterior block sits on a 4" slab, footer underneath, no stem wall.  I arranged the first and second floor structure on the default panel as shown, which by measurement is correct.  The room structures are checked to be the same as the default. 

The issue is that there is nothing I can do in the structure panel (or floor settings) to get the proper height of the first floor rough ceiling, it is one stud (96 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 99) including the sill and the top plate.  Selecting a stud from the 3D first floor framing, (any) I cannot get the stud to 96". The best I can get is 93", which tells me the ceiling height is incorrect. 

It would be a huge help for HD to create an extensive video on the many cases of structure/platform on existing slabs or platforms that are common in renovations.  The build-from-scratch videos are very clear, but one has to work backward from several downloaded template designs to interpret how structure should be set in a renovation.   There are a lot of ambiguities such as a no-stem wall, and it would be handy to have a tree chart to see which structure to set first, and which settings are affected by other settings.  It is in the text but it is not clear. Maybe I am an idiot, but I have followed all the help menus and watched a lot of David's videos and still I am stuck here. 

Thank you, 

Michael Scott  HD Pro 2023  Build 24.03.0.84 

Stucture.jpg

Side View.jpg

6745 Working Plan12-26.zip

Edited by MichaelScott
Clairity