Material List - Buy List

rmiles4015

Using HD Suite 2015 build 16.4

I updated the Material List in Defaults to specify a Buy List.

When I build the material list includes many entries for framing material but does not include the length. A typical entry for a fir plate includes 2" x 4" -… There is a quantity but no length.

If this is a defect, are there online fixes available for the software?

• Upvote 1

@Kat  thanks I wasn't sure , but wasn't sure why there was no lineal footage of 2x4 at all since any of the type should give a length of some sort....

Material maybe set incorrectly ?  ie Fir (stud) , needs to be Fir Stud @16 or 24" centres perhaps

• Upvote 1

Using HD Chief. I do not see any settings for framing. The software is calculating how many studs (unfortunately I cannot specify studs on 2-foot centers for the existing exterior walls) so it should be able to calculate the length of 2x4's needed for plates.

Did not realize HD Chief had so many limitations, sorry I purchased it.

Exactly what title and year do you have ?

Home Designer is different from Chief Architect Premier and depending on which Home Designer Title you have purchased you have different limitations ( all home designer programs are made by Chief Architect but CA Premier is a $2700 program)

You apparently have changed the Wall stud material to something other than the default since the default in new versions is a 24" on centre Fir Material , you can also make it 16" on Centre material , I however think you have changed it so no framing is shown in the ML. 

If you have HD Pro or CA Premier you need go to Build>Framing 1st , then calculate the ML. Other HD Titles Auto do the framing build for you....

• 2 years later...

When creating my Material Buy lists, I noticed the programs use of 2" x 4" - 7'-8 5/8" for both 2x4 and 2x6 items.  The finished ceiling height in the walk out basement is 9' 1 1/2".  I see the exterior wall studs using (19) 2" x 6" - 10'-0" and the interior wall studs using (85) 2" x 4" - 10'-0".  Is the program using the 7'-8 5/8" pre-cut length boards as a more efficient use of materials for use of shorter cuts?   It would be beneficial to be able to identify an item in the 3D view by the ID (F1, F2...) used in the material lists.  I have asked about this previously and I was told it is not possible. Maybe in the full Cheif Architect program, it is possible.  Anyway, clicking on each item in the 3D framing view and comparing it to the Buy & Cut lists is a pretty tedious exercise to try to figure out where/why these 7'-8 5/8" lengths in 2x4 and 2x6 are being used.   Since I am only a DIYer and not a professional construction type, a little insight would be fabulous as I would like to start ordering lumber.  I have searched the KBS, manuals, and now the forum for information concerning the subtle specifics of naming & length theory but haven't come across anything.  Thanks much!

TNodAR Buy List.png

To expand on what Eric said, the Materials List is an inventory of how you built the 3D model and nothing more. If you want an accurate materials list then your 3D model must emulate perfectly in detail the actual structure as it will be built in the field in the real world. This is usually beyond the skill level of most casual users. I have created such models for clients and I tell them up front that such a model will require ten times the effort as a model merely developed for graphic plans. In my many decades of using Chief Premier I have only had two such clients willing to exchange with me for the extra care required for such a product. Simple calculations like how much flooring etc are easy, a fully relationally correct buy list takes a lot of head and elbow space to create. Most end users use the model for raw data and just do a take off the old fashion way, with pen, pencil and calculator.

DJP

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

I have the same problem.   Some of the lumber shows length others show a quantity but no length.  Would be nice also if the software could consolidate lumbers.. Looking through a list of hundreds of entries and finding the same lumber multiple times and entering the same cost multiple times is not productive.  Also would be nice to relate the lumber in the Material list to the actual plan.   I see so many listed items in the material list that I have no idea what it is for or where it is used?  A bit disappointing to put in all the work expecting to get a material list that is usable.   I spent an hour keying in costs for materials and I was told when I exit I would have an opportunity to save my material list.   This did not happen, I lost all my work.   Sure I can export to a .txt file then I lose the ability to get the subtotals calculated and finished totals.   Yes I can open in Excel and reformate all the fields.  This yet again is not my expectations nor productive.