Can materials be assigned to a single surface?

Tupi22

Is it possible in Home Designer Pro to assign a material to just one surface?

I'm trying to design an interior sauna. It has a dropped ceiling, which I modeled as a soffit (see picture below).  But I can't find a way to assign tiled surface to the outside of the soffit, and cedar planking to the ceiling of the soffit - I can only change all the surfaces of the soffit to one type.  Same issue for the pony wall, the end of it inherits the same material as the inside.. 

As a small aside, I can't seem to assign any material to the top of the lower pony wall, it just looks like framing material.

sauna.thumb.JPG.b3b548fa48269addeab9ee3ef9ad2f02.JPG

When I run into something like that, I will make the soffit smaller by whatever the thickness is of the material you want it to be in each direction. Then copy the soffit, move it along the axis you need to, then change that soffit to the material you desire.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tupi22 said:

Ah that worked, thanks!  Is this the same approach for other objects where I may want to assign a material to just one side?

Also, and idea why my pony wall top is unfinished rough framing?

Capture.thumb.JPG.01944bf761c437d8d1cae73e55aae11c.JPG

You can use a counter top to cover that framing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tupi22 said:

Ah that worked, thanks! 

Sorry - I don't see any difference between the two posted views using the suggested solution?

I can see the sofit - but where is the new material you wanted to apply?

Define the new number of materials to match the number of surfaces you have needing different finishes.

Or just use the spray can material applicator where required.

The top of your pony wall can be defined differently in your wall specification - can't it?

Jeff.

8 hours ago, Robborito said:

Sorry - I don't see any difference between the two posted views using the suggested solution?

I can see the sofit - but where is the new material you wanted to apply?

The top of your pony wall can be defined differently in your wall specification - can't it?

Jeff.

Sorry, I should have highlighted it - it's the sauna ceiling circled in red, which I wanted to have cedar.  I couldn't choose separate materials for the sides and the ceiling, so the ceiling was also tiled.  So I added thin "walls" to the soffit to be able to give the ceiling and sides different materials:

image.thumb.png.d411c7c541a1e1ca6724603ebcac8946.png

Define the new number of materials to match the number of surfaces you have needing different finishes.

Or just use the spray can material applicator where required.

I tried this earlier, but I could not find a way to assign different materials or colors to different sides of a soffit - I think the soffit is considered an "object", and that's the lowest selection level I could find - there is not an option to apply finishes to only a surface.

I could not find a way to assign a finish to the pony wall.  In fact it was in one of David Potter's tutorials that he had the same exact issue and used a polyline rectangle to create a pony wall top.