Sunlight shadows not showing up in interior view

Tupi22

Go to solution Solved by Tupi22,

I'm a fairly new user to Home Designer Pro, so sorry if this is a dumb question.  I'm having trouble with shadows inside the house.  The first attached picture is Chief's tutorial which shows how sunlight can supposedly cast shadows inside the home.  The second picture is my house model showing the outside of the house, just outside a bedroom, where the sun shadow is properly cast. But the third picture is inside that same bedroom, and there is no shadow.  Am I doing something wrong?  If it helps, I don't have any interior lighting set up.

sample.JPG

outside.JPG

accept.JPG

It has no effect on the interior, there are no shadows at all.  I get shadows with the lights on:

lamp.thumb.JPG.d943d1091dc6659c624d3eea31c4cc69.JPG

But as soon as I adjust the sunlight, all shadows go away:

1465915762_genericinside.thumb.JPG.ba76b25b1690cd267c33fe030fddf122.JPG

The outside part of the house does get shadows as expected:

466487074_genericoutside.thumb.JPG.5fa05a0ab11628076a261fa64a0c5d83.JPG

I wonder if it's some kind of a technical glitch rather than something I'm doing (or not doing)?

I'm getting an error trying to upload the actual plan (it's 13MB, so below the 14MB max size).

But I did open a new plan, and copied and pasted the original plan into it, and lo and behold, the interior shadows work!  I didn't change any default settings, so this is a mystery to me, but I guess I'll just trudge on and not ask "why".

shadows2.thumb.JPG.314aadf8f4852a55444d3d719417efdf.JPG

• Like 1

• Solution

In case anyone comes across this issue in the future, I figured out the problem.  All of my glass defaults (windows, doors, skylights) were set to Glass Grey in the Transparent Glass materials options.  For some reason grey glass does not transmit sunlight in my model (even though it says Transparent).  Once I switched the glass to Glass Standard, I got the result I wanted.  Very strange.

Here's an example with the glass door having grey glass, and everything else being standard.

Capture.thumb.JPG.faf0a471779328aa8129ed01624b1772.JPG

• Like 1