Detached Garage Interior walls

Pro2023UserMatt

How do I create interior walls in a detached garage model that sit on the slab and don't have their own foundation?  

The garage foundation is 16"x8" spread footing with 3'x8" poured wall on top.  Exterior walls are 2x10 pony walls on top of stem wall.  Floor is 8" below SWT.  I want the concrete floor to be the floor in the interior rooms as well, and create two stories in part of the garage.

Thank you in advance for your time.

I'm not sure what I did, but these interior walls are on floor 1, and I can't figure out why they aren't following the floor 1 defaults as shown above.  I got them to sit on the floor, but now they are to high to build second floor on.

image.thumb.png.ad025173be1c24118c2f2c970824aeaf.png

When I try to build the same wall on Floor 0, this is what I get.  Neither are following the default settings I tried to adjust.

image.thumb.png.a9f46c54ef2cd6aa888754c2a25c8fd6.png

My goal is to create a two stories of rooms between the two interior walls with a balcony extending toward the back room of the building.

Eric,

I read and followed the entire (all 150 pages) user's guide.  I've watched the boot camps and all the videos with similar content to my questions that I can find.  I've spent most of the day searching the home talk Q&A for answers to my questions.  I've read the pinned topics about guidelines and best practices...all to avoid the response that I just received. 

It seems that you are one of a very few willing to take your time to help others.....but there is a trend I see in a lot of your responses...some sensitivity training may be in order.  Please offer a little nudge instead of shaming.  I'm sure there are those that ask before trying, but most people spending the money for this software have enough skin in the game to put forth their best effort before asking for help. 

I'm not going to participate in the chest puffing and list all the software that I'm trained in. Maybe I'm a little slow...point is, this is where you go to get help.  If you're up for providing that help, I would be grateful.  If you're more interested in proving your superior knowledge, then all you have done is put a bad taste in my mouth and given me an excuse to get my money back on the software.  No matter how simple it is, if I can't understand it, then it is useless to me.

Start a new plan. Do not make any changes to defaults.

Draw four walls to form a room. Don't worry about exact dimensions.

Open the resulting room and set it to be a Garage. Do not make any changes to any settings.

Build a foundation. Make sure Walls With Footings is selected, but make no other changes.

On the 1st level, draw a wall dividing the room. Select the wall and copy it.

Build a 2nd floor taking all the defaults.

Paste/Hold Position to paste the copied wall on the 2nd floor.

Open one of the rooms and change its room type to Open Below.

Take a Doll House View and see what you built.

-----------------

As an alternate method, instead of using an Open Below room on the 2nd level, raise the ceiling in the 1st floor room. Experiment a bit to see which method works for your application. Framing will change, if that's important.

-----------------

Now start over setting defaults before drawing anything, and at each step (like when you build a 2nd floor), make changes as required.

-----------------

I had about 30 years working in IT when I started with Home Designer, but I think the only carryover was knowing how to learn new software.

I was lucky I suppose, as I picked up this software fairly quickly, but I probably spent 40 hours of study in the beginning. 

Something that has always worked for me is to start small and simple. Once I understand that, slowly add and/or change things, pausing as needed to learn and/or experiment before moving forward.

I'll guess, and guess is all I can do since all I have to go on is what's above.

You are looking at this much like you would when actually building. You have a tall empty building and you want to build a two story structure within it. 

You would build your new walls on the slab, so you try to do the same in the program, drawing walls on the foundation level.

And you probably do not have a 2nd level in your model because you don't see it as a 2nd floor, but rather just a room above another that all fits within the larger structure.

Because of these things, I suggested you watch a video or three to see how the program works. You won't learn how to do exactly what you want, but you will learn the concepts, and then be able to apply them to your project.

I'm certain the step by step instructions I provided above will get you started. Please start a new thread with questions unrelated to your OP.

You are correct in your assumptions on what I am trying to accomplish.  I was attempting to model it with the same mindset that I would build it.  Your instruction gave me the direction that I needed.  Thank you.  

image.thumb.png.3ee5d95c945491b4c58eef37bb62121f.png

I expected my past experience to translate more quickly, but working with/around the auto generation is going to take more getting used to. 

I have missed a step somewhere.  What am I doing that is causing the ceiling height to be negative?

image.thumb.png.99293f51be45a1573ce4b9c15a3ecab4.png

This is how it started, but notice that the floor structure (grayed out at the bottom) is 4", when I set the garage slab default at 5".

image.thumb.png.103eb47ee38483fd3c33457672b540fb.png

Does the pony wall elevation of lower wall top have anything to do with this?

image.thumb.png.65896ffe2bd791539b9b0f8ff51caeee.png