Attic or open to below

jfobes

I am trying to build a loft area and seem to have an issue with the floors in the area that is open to below.

If I make area on second floor "open to below" it adds walls to the second floor. The second floor is in the "attic" space of a 12/12 pitch roof, very common. If I make the area "attic" the walls disappear but now I have a floor in what should be open to below.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hi it is very important to tell us what program you are using and to post a picture or your plan. 

Go up to the attic "A" level draw an invisible wall or put a railing in place, then click on the other area where you want it to be open below. Click the open tool and then select open below. Also go to the video tutorials as there is a tutorial on creating lofts. . If this does not help Post your program and some photos to we can help you.

Attic is a special designation in CA/HD software , which causes the roof to be built off the 1st floor framing, you can't build Rooms in the Attic (A) level either, so use the 2 storey method with open to below, have a look in the KB ( eric linked above or in my sig.) for an article on 1 1/2 storey/Cape Cod houses (set the 2nd storey to 0" if needed, ie no knee walls)  or one on Lofts/Mezzanine Floors