3D Viewer VR Goggles - image unstable?

MattCarp

Go to solution Solved by MattCarp,

Has anyone experimented with the VR Headset function in the phone 3D Viewer?

I am using HD Pro '23, and, an iPhone 13 inserted into a phone holder / headset.    

I can display my model successfully in the Chief Architect 3D Viewer app, all functions work normally.   For example, I'm able to physically walk with my phone and my position in the 3D view in the phone changes with my movements.   This is working fine.

However, when I select the stereoscopic view needed for 3D display in the headset, the image jumps around rapidly and uncontrollably.    I've turned camera gyro on/off, no effect.   I adjusted the look speed parameter from "1" to "0.5"

Of course, I'd like to see the model through the VR goggles to make it that much more real.   Honestly, it's an amazingly cool thing.

Has anyone else been successful?   Any tips? 

Yes, that’s right.   When you select the mode to display two images on your phone display and put your phone in a viewer to create the vr effect.   

I mean, it shouldn’t be limited to Google cardboard should it?   There’s nothing special about that?  I have a plastic viewer/goggles that you slide your phone into.

Ok, that makes more sense to me.  To answer your question about the the actual viewer device, no, I don't believe it makes a difference which device you use.  However, I do recall seeing what you are describing on an earlier version of Google Cardboard, which went away if I rotated the phone to landscape mode.  Anyway, I just exported a 360 panorama, saved and uploaded it to my Chief Account, made it public, then email myself the link.  It opened fine with no craziness.  However, it did seem to be running it via my web browser, and not the Google Cardboard app.  May want to list the steps you're taking to help solve the issue.

I have previously exported my plan to the CA web site using File > Export > Export Chief Architect 3D Viewer File...

I have an iPhone 13 mini with the latest iOS.   I have no other apps running.    I enter Chief Architect 3D Viewer on my phone, I've logged into my Chief Architect account, then I go to Saved Models, download the plan by pressing the cloud icon, then open the model.

Everything is fine, then I select the goggle view, and the attached video is what I get.    I've tried this multiple times, on an iPhone 8 and 13.  Same behavior.    I've confirmed my screen orientation lock is off, allowing the display to go into landscape mode.

I have to say that this seems pretty straightforward.   I didn't see any settings or preparation steps?   It should just work?   

It seems like the app itself is getting invalid inputs from the phone's motion sensors?

-Matt

Ok, I think we keep getting the terminology mixed.  There is no 'Goggle' view selectable via the Chief 3D Viewer app, whether the model is accessed via the app, or the website (which then opens the file in the app).  It sounds like you are able to view the 3D model in the app no problem on the phone, but I'm thinking you are then trying to access the 360 panorama file (which I'm assuming you saved via a camera view and uploaded to your account), which would be done either through a web link you send to yourself, or by logging into the website on your phone, navigating to 'Manage 360 Panoramas', selecting 'View', then tapping on the 'Goggle' icon.  When I do this on my iPhone 13, it works fine.  However, I had also purchased the CA Cardboard Viewer and that is the one that I setup in Google Cardboard.  As I mentioned in my first reply, I had seen the exact problem you show on a previous version of Google Cardboard, so I'm wondering if you may try to update the app you are using with the Headset viewer you own.  Not sure if that helps, but good luck.

IMG_1710.PNG

IMG_1711.PNG

IMG_1712.PNG

• Solution

Yes, there appears to be two functions.  

Viewing the 3D Model with the 3D Viewer App, which is done after selecting "Export Chief Architect 3D Viewer File".   This is what I do, and I select the icon (see attachment).

After I do that, the display isn't stable.

You've demonstrated the 360* Panorama viewer.   I can't open this file with the 3D Viewer App.    However, I CAN open Safari on my phone, navigate to the Chief Architect web site, then, log in.   There, I select "Manage 360* Panoramas".   When I see my list, I can then click on "View" for one of my Panoramas.   Again, this is from Safari on my iPhone.    

Then, when the Pano opens, there is a goggle or viewer icon in the lower right, just left to the full screen icon that you've shown in your first photo.   I click on that.   Now, if I hold the phone in portrait orientation, nothing happens.   BUT, when I rotate the phone to landscape orientation, I get a proper 3D display!   That works!

Ok.  My conclusion - the 3D Pano works through the web browser.    The 3D Viewer App has not fully implemented this VR functionality.   It's possible that this is in the future.   If it comes, I'm hoping it promises the ability to walkthrough the model, similar to what can be done with the Sojourn controls in the app.

Thank you for those photos, it helped me zero in on this!

IMG_96670C9C28B1-1.jpeg

Well that’s interesting. My 3D View App has  Augmented Reality as the last icon on the right, not a Goggles icon. As far as the iOS App Store shows, I have the latest version. Weird. I’d be curious what version you have. 

CFB8A0E2-F2FE-4AA7-9B5F-CA6159A0A873.png

45DCD8C8-707E-4CFD-A586-8BD7E2366E3D.png

I have the same version as you…

my phone is the iPhone 8, but my wife’s phone is a 13 mini.   It behaves the same.  I started to play with gyro and walk mode options in the display, but that doesn’t seem to have an effect.

I suppose CA support could explain….   I’d love to have the vr work, since it would bring the model to a whole new level.

Yes I agree, that would be cool. It’s odd that the app shows different icons in our respective apps. I apologize for the earlier comment that the 3D Viewer app didn’t have the goggles capability. Clearly yours does, and looking at the screenshots on the App Store, it also shows a goggles icon. This app is 2 years old though, so maybe that function existed at one point?  Anyway, thanks for the discussion and maybe I will email Chief Support to see what’s up. 

9081B61B-A03B-40F2-84E8-41841E585407.jpeg

No, I appreciate your partnership in the journey!  I learned about the pano views, which I never attempted, or really knew anything about.

I can’t explain it either.   My theory of a not-completely-implemented function seems wrong. The last thing a developer would do is put the icon there, not the first thing.

Maybe a privacy or accessibility setting on my phone?   Or, the CA plan needs a certain preparation or setting?

Regardless, thank you for exploring it with me!