Manually placed framing

rfcomm2k

I am designing a deck with pergola. Having not found these in the product, I am placing the timbers manually. Since these are pergola members they are above the head and thus NOT floor joists. When I click Build/Framing/Joists, I can place these at the location needed, then manually set the height. However the software refers to these as floor joists instead of ceiling joists, despite the height being 114". I find no way to change the specification to call these ceiling joists. I can delete and build general framing, but then when I wish to turn off the pergola members in a view, ALL general framing is turned off. I am using general framing for other items in the construction.

Any suggestions?

5 minutes ago, rfcomm2k said:

In my software I do not see a menu choice to draw a ceiling joist. I can draw a floor/ceiling truss, or a floor/ceiling beam, or a joist. Nothing in this menu suggests a ceiling joist.

Think about what the program needs to know to create a ceiling joist when you use the Joist tool.

What happens if you build a room using default settings, then draw a ceiling joist over this room, or auto build ceiling framing.

Does this work? What's different about this room when compared to your deck room?

The deck is for a tiny house, where the existing floor is 26" above grade. When I draw a straight deck edge against side of structure all it shows are three invisible walls in floorplan view. Using straight deck railing tool or straight railing tool only presents a railing with no floor. If I select that room just created and set the floor height to 26" I raise the railing but still have no floor. After chasing this around for a long time I just decided to design it as a stick built structure. placing individual pieces of lumber for the posts, beams, floor joists, deck planks, ceiling joists, and pergola pieces. It looks great, I just wanted to be able to turn off certain parts so I can easily select others to make appearance changes.

The existing pergolas cannot be modified re the component sizes. For example the posts are essentially 2x3 material, and that would not support the deck that must be placed under the pergola roof. Yes, I could use different lumber to support the deck, and fasten the pergola to the deck, but it just is not looking right.