How would you duplicate this roof detail?

DanWEC

Hello all,

Trying to use Home Designer Pro 2021 to do detail sections for permit submissions for the first time. I've used it for several years for conceptual design, site layout, floorplans and elevations, but never details, I've found it quicker to use generic detail graphics and mark them up. I figure might as well try and do it, will see if I can get more productive at it- Or is this a point of diminishing returns on HDP?

I'm doing a full height extension off the gable end of a wartime house. And I'm just drawing up the existing structure into HDP.

I'm having trouble transposing the attached roof framing detail. It's 2x6 joists with no rim, just a cont. 2x4 plate on top which the rafters birdmouth onto. 

Original detail attached, and a screenshot of how my framing so far is in HDP.  The rest of the structure is fine, but roofing isn't going well. The issue is when I try to build the roof framing the rafters bear on the top plate below the ceiling joists. So my question is twofold:

1. Best way to insert the plate above the joists, just draw it in using build framing?
  2. How to best make the rafters bear and birdmouth onto that plate. 

Thanks much,

Dan

SharedScreenshotroof.jpg

20220727_163416.jpg

Thanks Eric, I'll try that. I just raised the roof structure under the birdmouth selection menu by doing a +5" instead of a - . Solved half the problem. Many ways to skin a cat! Yours might work better.

Another related question. Any idea why can't I get a rim joist on the gable wall of the second floor? They generated just fine on the lower floors. I've played with the platform and balloon checkboxes, and searched through the framing default settings, and the wall structure itself but no luck.

SharedScreenshot.thumb.jpg.86ca37be162bde7c0b1b701526755132.jpg

I'm replicating the existing house for the plans. There is definitely a 2x6 rim joist at the top of the second floor, which would be the attic platform, which has 2x6 ceiling joists. It's alright, I've simply drawn it in and it's working fine.   Thank you for the help.

I do have one more question, this is strange to me.... For some reason, selecting the Framing, Floor Joists layer, will show the joists, but for the floor above- as in the joists in the ceiling of the selected floor. I would think that would be the ceiling joists layer? I genuinely don't remember running into this before, and I've done plenty of framing diagrams. Any idea what could be causing it?