Importing actual elevation data - am I crazy?

MattCarp

I am designing a house for a steep sloped mountainside lot.    I should probably just back up my plan and try this, but, I'm afraid for what I'm about to do.

Everything I've been reading is that I should keep it simple.   However, I want a realistic view of my situation.

I obtained highly accurate LIDAR elevation data (1.5' cell size) from a government web site.   I finally figured out the format and have it in an XYZ layout.   Here are a few rows:

image.png.0f1501fd321535a1d306815f8e52ca93.png    

My lot is 0.5 acre, which is about 15,000 points at this resolution.   I've trimmed down my file, but let's say I have 20,000 points.   

The X and Y values reference the State Plane for the grid map.   I have a survey that indicates ONE point in these coordinates.

I have a couple questions:

1. Will my computer explode if I try to import this elevation data?

- Does anyone have experience with how many data points are too many?

-  if required, I suppose I could trim it down to 40-100 points.   After all, the land is smooth.

2. How do I get the coordinate system on my house plan to map to the coordinate system of the elevation data?

- I have the north pointer, and, was able to draw the plot lines by following the surveyor's length (in feet) and bearing of the lines.

I've attached a picture of the elevation data - it's the area between the blue (on the bottom) and the road (in the middle).   I've also attached a picture of the house.   Note that the terrain data and the plan are "reversed".   If you rotated one of them, this is the how they will fit together.

-Matt

543699960_ScreenShot2022-07-22at8_02_19PM.thumb.png.5de1f34ccf40dcd5fb7f46a830242db3.png1803685059_ScreenShot2022-07-22at7_46_16PM.thumb.png.d4e83efa363d9abca54be4a8ef33f966.png

One more question:   following the Home Designer Pro 2023 Reference Manual (p. 907), what does #4 (scaling) mean?

On my previous question about mapping coordinate systems - I suppose that mapping the coordinate systems only requires one point on the house plan and a proper north pointer?

1139145775_ScreenShot2022-07-22at8_13_52PM.thumb.png.5594f15fb106a9a6e08099356023a4a5.png

Thank you Eric.   I've added the version of my software to my signature.    

I didn't see a clear answer to my questions, which is why I made the post.

Your comment about the plan is mysterious.   If you wish to share your thoughts, it would be helpful to me, and I'd welcome that.   You can send me a direct message by using the mail icon at the top of the web page.   :)

Wow - good point!   Thank you, Jo Ann!

I am still in the design process.  It's my first design.    I'm really enjoying Home Designer, but I'm at the point where there are some finer points that are hard to get fixed.   I.e., the roof on my stair nook.   I'm battling the auto wall generation functions.

That said, now that I see what you say, I've made exactly your update.   Once I fix a few other things, I'll put it out there for the sharks to tear into, as Eric suggested.

Again, thank you!

Go Bucks!   

(Class of '92)

Importing the elevation points is not a big issue. you will however want to shift your axis system. You will want your smallest x  and y and z coordinates to be 0,0,0. 

If you don't do this the software will need to generate all of that empty space between 0,0,0 and your house.

So import each row into excel  and for each column subtract the smallest value from each row. 

Then resave it as a csv file and import it