Global Symbol Mapping

som1else

The Adjust Material Definition is a great tool, but I don't see that Global Symbol Mapping does anything. Whether I leave it checked or unchecked, it still changes the material on multiple objects. I want to be able to adjust Angle of material on different surfaces, but if I change it on one surface, it will change it on all. Isn't this what the Global Symbol Mapping button is supposed to be for? To be able to adjust each surface individually? Or is this does this only lock for each type of surface? For example, I have a room with a shed roof that has a slopped ceiling and a flat section of ceiling that butt up to each other. The texture is t&g boards. When it renders in 3D, it runs the textures perpendicular to each other. If I rotate one texture with the Adjust Material Definition tool, it will also rotate the other regardless whether the Global Symbol Mapping button is on or off. Am I missing something or is this option that lacking? 

HDPro 2023

26 minutes ago, som1else said:

I want to be able to adjust Angle of material on different surfaces

Global Symbol Mapping is poorly explained and poorly understood.

In any case, you need to create a new material set at the proper angle for each angle.

So I need to do it just like I did a few versions ago I guess. What is the purpose of GSM then? I assume when unchecked it will only adjust textures on like objects/surfaces? For example, it will adjust all ceilings with that texture, but would leave other surface types unaffected? And if checked would apply changes to all instances of that texture?

Seems like they fell short on this feature. Would be so much more useful to adjust each surface individually

Okay, GSM is sort of what I thought it was, but doesn't seem to have the functionality I wish it did. It would be so much more convenient to be able to adjust a texture uniquely for each surface and have it "stick". Perhaps it will do this if each one is modified as it's placed as one comment in the thread you shared suggests. I will play with it and see. Thanks for the links.