Video card

Applewood

I have 3 lap tops  on my 4 year old I have Vista On my 2 year old I have windows 7 and my 3months old I have windows 8.1

Just so you understand a little more about video cards. My older computer has the ability to have the video cards updated but Vista is a much slower system. My windows 7, 2 year old computer has much more ram and so on but the video card does not allow HD Pro to render in 3D. Also the video card in that computer cannot be updated. 

Here in Australia we have **** Smith and Officeworks where you go for free  into their stores and have a computer engineer walk you through the variables. They looked up Homedesigner web site for me and talked me through my cheapest options and conducted some demos of different computers there speed and showed me how the colours would appear on a few different screens.

. Soooooo to get to your point. We may not be the best people to assist you. If you have similar stores in your Town and Country go into and talk to the computer experts or give them a call. You may simply need to update your video card software online or you may need to get a better video card installed or like my windows 7, 2 year old computer it may not support the type of video card you need. If you do not have a free service in your part of the World skype our Officeworks They are open 8am to 6pm 7 days a week. The time here right now is 9.20 am so you have approximately 7 hours to call them. 61 2 4336 2100 Good Luck.

Friends on line,

First, I would like to thank you for your prompt replies.

I am using a Professional, 64-bit version of Windows 7 on a four-year-old HP desktop with 5 GB of memory, a 2.8 GHz Intel processor, and a recently uploaded Intel Win7_64_1512754 video card.  Since I am not a gamer, I have never installed or had the need for a fancy video card. 

Your answers have prompted me to check the minimum requirements of the HD software, and I appear to meet them.  Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about video cards.  I apparently need a new one.  If anyone has a suggestion for which one to install, I would be grateful. 

Applewood

Your choices are rather limited if you have a laptop, just due to space concerns. Check with HP to see if they offer any video card upgrades, if they do not then a new laptop or desktop will be in the offing. Get authoritative advice before giving in.

DJP

Thank you, DJP.

I am using a desktop.  I've also checked the free space on my local C drive.  I have 19.3 GB free of 133 GB on the Local © disk and 11.1 GB free of 16.0 GB on the HP Recovery (D) disk.  Does this mean I'll have to increase my memory before I can upgrade the video card?

Applewood

No , Ram (memory) is a different thing than your Hard Drive Space. Looks like you need to possibly do a Disk cleanup or you may need an additional Hard Drive soon too .

Most Intel Chip Video cards of HD4000 or higher number can use the 3D capability of the Home Designer Software , so a more current driver may fix the Issue. HP may not have one on their Website for it but Intel may on theirs' .  Will you be happy with the performance of it in 3D perhaps not .

If you have the Budget for a new videocard , I would suggest one with a Nvidia Chipset , made by a major manufacturer such as Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, etc

You can do this upgrade yourself or any tech savvy kid could too , post a bit more information about you particular computer, model # etc and we/I can give more advice if needed.

My general advice is to take more personal responsibility for  computers specifically. To do otherwise is to place your life in the hands of others and others opinions. Learn about computers for yourself, even if only so you exercise better judgement as to what you do and who helps you do it. Learn how the different hardware components work together to produce a computer experience. Get special nomenclature defined so when you read an technical article you then understand what is being communicated. When something goes wrong while using your computer you are better prepared as to what to do and why it is happening.

Computer repair persons commonly charge over $100.00+ per hour, the smarter you become the more money you can save and minimize the amount of lost time due to problems. It is time well spent!

DJP

• 3 months later...

Hi

I am interested in either HomeDesigner Suite 2015 or 2016.  I see that for video cards with dedicated memory that 512MB is required.  I have 256MB NVidia quadro 160M with either install and run on my machine with reduced 3D performance (which i can live with), no 3D at all (3D views would be nice  , or just not install period ... 

Thanks

Hi

I am interested in either HomeDesigner Suite 2015 or 2016. I see that for video cards with dedicated memory that 512MB is required. I have 256MB NVidia quadro 160M with either install and run on my machine with reduced 3D performance (which i can live with), no 3D at all (3D views would be nice , or just not install period ...

Thanks

You can download the trial version to see if it works, but if the computer doesn't meet the minimum system requirements, keep in mind that it might work initially but the bigger your design gets, it may not be able to handle rendering the 3D views later on.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, I have requested a trial, appreciate the prompt and helpful responses, if it works I will buy and i do understand a larger project might have rendering issued in 3D but that shouldn't be an issue for me ..