Garage Displaying Above Ground - Both at 0"

MrMooCow

Title says it all.  The garage floor is at zero.  The terrain is at zero.  But when I fire up the camera, it shows the garage a foot or two above the drive way.

Fixed: As I was posting this it occurred to me I never designated this as a garage.  That fixed the problem, although I don't really understand why.  Zero should still be Zero.

Posting anyway because someone else may have the same problem.  And maybe I'll learn something new if someone can explain why.

Screenshot 2022-07-04 155737.png

Screenshot 2022-07-04 155847.png

Garage floors are commonly slanted downward with the lowest point at the garage door threshold. Chief and HD don't do slanted floors by default, so if the lot is flat, I set terrain building pad at 7" (A common requirement is to have at least 6" of reveal of the foundation from grade to bottom of exterior finishes). and I set the Garage Floor to -6". This places the garage floor 1" above the terrian and a driveway object are by default 1" thick, which places the surface of the driveway at the bottom of the garage door. You can do as you wish, no competent Builder is going to build it wrong just because you modeled it wrong.

DJP

That's all true, but..... Eh.  I'm not handing this off to a builder.  I would hand it off to an architect or engineer as an example to follow of what I want, and let them fill in minor details like that.  

In any case,  it doesn't explain why the garage was not displaying at zero.

• 1 month later...

@MrMooCowWhere exactly in the meus did you correct this?

Edit: Figured it out. The main tools are under Tools > Space Planning but beyond that I was erroneously attempting to lay down a slab first and build walls around it. Apparently that workflow doesn't flag the object as a 'room.'

Edited by Cosmas47
Resolved