Second floor shed roof - having troubles

JonTheNewGuy

I am a new user of Home Designer Pro 2022, and am learning the software. As a learning project I am trying to recreate an interesting contemporary garage design. It consists of 2 parts, an RV garage with a 14' ceiling and shed roof, and a 2 car garage with a standard 9' ceiling. Over the 2 car garage only is a second floor, with a shed roof that goes from 5' to around 16'.

image.thumb.png.b7e68b757247493ef3ce67e232b64322.png

I think I have most of the basics for the first floor, but I am having trouble defining the second floor. This gives a basic overview of what I have now, but may show a problem. There is a gap in the wall between the two at the second floor level.

image.thumb.png.a96f39e10c11cecc96dee4c7dfdb0c50.png

Here is where I am when I add the second floor, with a 5' second floor wall. The RV garage shed roof goes over the second floor.

image.thumb.png.0df1d67eeca89ec2147d38b7385c1ebf.png

Moving up a level gives this roof outline, which I don't want:

image.thumb.png.fbe2c79e94aba75336654330f431fc8a.png

I am after something more like this, but I can only get it by specifying a higher wall height for the second floor room. It gives the shed roof and clerestory windows, but with comical dimensions:

image.thumb.png.22ae88054f869a33701376155e16909e.png

I know I am missing something basic as to how home designer and Chief Architect works, but haven't figured it out yet (I've done lot's of googling and watched hours of videos). Can anyone give some pointers and suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

@solver, thank you so much! That small room / invisible wall did the trick. I'm going to try this again over the weekend (practice makes perfect), but my first rough try looks really good. I will report back with my final results. Again, thank you!

• 5 weeks later...

@solverI didn't get to this as quickly as I wanted, but have made some progress. Oddly enough, the solution comes from another video you did regarding Monitor style garages. It looks like my problem was with room definitions. As soon as I made the second floor structure room have a higher ceiling, without the extra wall, I got the results I wanted. I'm still tinkering with this, but I got a bit a more understanding of how Chief Architect works, and how I need to design with it. Thank you, and I will update with results.