Shed roof distorted by intersecting gable roof

DocAudios

Hi,

I have a problem with the automated roof creation in Home Designer Architectural 2015. My (simplified) floor plan looks like two intersecting boxes with one box having a tent roof and the other a gable roof. I'd like the two roofs to appear as if each box and roof was created separately and then the two boxes and roofs were just intersected. By default, HDA automatically carries the roof line of the gable roof into the shed roof, which distorts the latter as shown in the two attached jpegs.

I've experimented with many different ways of creating the roofs to no avail. Every time I create the two, the gable roof line is carried into the shed roof.

Is there a way to turn off this automated behaviour or to work around it? I've looked at all the great explanations of how to create many different roof styles in the on-line help (which is very well done) but I couldn't find what I needed, unfortunately.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rick

post-2171-0-82613600-1425663832_thumb.jpg

post-2171-0-86293300-1425663853_thumb.jpg

Lower the pitch on the East wall of the 'high shed' room.

But this will only 'work' if the south wall of the 'high shed' room, is on the north side of the roof ridge of the lower room.

You appear to have over-lapped the 'high shed' room to the south of the 'ridge' of the lower gabled room.

Please post a photo of your floor plan 1st and 2nd floors. Have you tried using the auto roof tool first for the main roof {gable Roof)  then turning off auto roof planes tool and building the skillion roof {which I think you are calling a tent roof} manually.? It is important when designing the walls of the plan to have a look at where the roof lines on the plan are sitting. I often need to explain to my clients that a particular wall would be better placed here or there so the roof valleys perform better. I get very frustrated with this program  but it will do most things that are possible to build.  

Its working out how to draw it with this software that is a never ending storey. The more photos you post the better.

Thanks for the very speedy replies!

Jo_Ann: The way I have the pitches are the way our house is (I'm trying to model the as-is before a big reno). The gable ridge does disappear into the shed roof. I've attached a screen grab of the bigger picture model (Shed roof distortion 3.jpg) in which there are actually two gabled roofs that intersect the shed roof. Interestingly, one side works well but the other side does not although there is one notable difference. The gabled roof on the right shares a wall with the shed roof but the one on the left does not--and that's the side with the distorted roof. I created a second model with the fewest components possible to try to isolate the problem.

I've also attached a picture of the real house just to show what I'm trying to model. It is weird!

32383238Ca: There's only a single floor (floor plan pic attached). I've been meaning to say shed roof (since that's one of the default types) but for some reason I keep typing "tent" by mistake. Sorry for the confusion. I do believe it's the same as a skillion roof (an inclined plane).

I'm very new at this program so I haven't discovered the "auto roof planes tool". I've experimented with the Auto Rebuild Roofs option in the Build Roof dialog--is that what you mean? If not, please let me know where it is. I just looked for it and I can't find it in the software or the on-line manual.

I just started to try creating the gabled roof first by changing the two interior walls so that the lower right part of the floor plan was square and the upper left part was L shaped. Unfortunately, when I tried to check that the left hand gabled wall was still set to gabled, I get a "serious error" message as shown in "error message.jpg". Hmmm...not looking good.

Am I correct in assuming that I need to leave Auto Rebuild Roofs turned on until I get the roofs right (otherwise, how can I generate a roof for a room?), then I turn it off so I can make changes to walls that may affect the roof?

I know what you mean by frustrating! I've spent more than half a day on this roof already.

Thanks for the help.

Rick

post-2171-0-26385600-1425677928_thumb.jpg

post-2171-0-48511000-1425677936_thumb.jpg

post-2171-0-18125000-1425678011_thumb.jpg

post-2171-0-39273400-1425678680_thumb.jpg

post your Real plan Rick , your test plan doesn't reflect the real conditions well in regards to floor levels , width of buildings , true roof pitches etc

you may have run into an age old problem in that CA/HD can not do a building of the same width with two different roofs easily, especially if the floor levels (0") are the same, not sure if that is fixed in the latest Version or not?   eg try adding a shed roof addition on to the end of a gable roof house.

Here's the "real plan" but I would have thought the simplified version is adequate since it reveals the basic problem.

I can appreciate that HD and similar programs can get extremely complicated (I was a SW developer for 20 years) but if the roof-generation algorithm was my work, I'd consider this a bug. I'd be very surprised if anyone would be happy with, much less expect, the results for this combination of inputs. I suspect the situation was simply never tested.

Thanks for all the help.

Rick

Full Model 1.1.plan

There is a bug that has been around for years that causes the auto roofs to "meld" if the floor levels are less that 12" different  , and I could see in the photo of the real thing your garage floor / house floor etc is not what was in the test model ....it actually maybe a good thing if it helps evade the "12inch Bug".

M.

Rick,

"Am I correct in assuming that I need to leave Auto Rebuild Roofs turned on until I get the roofs right (otherwise, how can I generate a roof for a room?), then I turn it off so I can make changes to walls that may affect the roof?"

YES.

The bad news is...I don't think you can get Architectural's auto build roof to build that roof edge.
The good news is...you can improvise by using sloped soffits and other shapes.

Study the changes I made to floor 1, and build the roof.
Add the sloped soffit to the attic level.  Play with it's height settings until you get it right,
then add the shingle material to it.
Copy/paste the soffit, make it thin, add your fascia color to it, and put it up against the shingle soffit.
Add a wedge to represent the 'attic' wall under the soffit.

Reminder:  If your remodel involves building the roof again, you can't turn off  'auto build roof' until the remodel is done.

Also, you need to define your garage as a 'garage' room type, then rebuild your foundation, THEN add the garage doors.

You have some walls that need to have the layers 'reversed'.

Is your 2nd floor really 113"?   You need to get these type of things correct before building a roof.   :)

post-63-0-33178900-1425849982_thumb.jpg