Trouble creating a 2nd Floor addition with a Gable Roof

EdwardR

Hello all!  I am working on a new addition to an existing late 1800's home (the square structure on the right of the floor remodel plans with the dormers) and am using HD 2022. Prior to starting the addition, I created the old home using HD 2019.  The lower level of the addition was existing but I have removed the roof and extended the front exterior wall (shown in red). I have added a 2nd floor by drawing 2nd floor walls but had to add an additional wall next to the existing exterior wall of the old section of the home in order for the HD program to recognize the 2nd floor addition as a room.  I am now attempting to install a gable roof over the 2nd floor addition but am having trouble getting a completed end of the gable (see Front of House picture).  I have tried lots of things but can't get it right.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Note:  I had similar issues when I was creating the original structure.

Thank you in advance!

Edward

1st Floor Remodel.jpg

2nd Floor -Inside New Additon looking toward Existing Home 2nd Floor.jpg

2nd Floor Remodel.jpg

Attic - New Addition looking toward Existing Home.jpg

Back of House - New Addition.jpg

Front of House - New Addition.jpg

Auto built gable attic walls are by default marked No Room Definition. To create a room, make sure all the walls forming the room do not have this setting checked.

For the best responses, it's helpful to have the plan file to review. Close Pro, Zip if needed (14 MB size limit) and attach.

I'll also suggest you reconsider the design to eliminate this condition.

ht1.thumb.png.d7489c4a10822735909b2f2925564887.png

Hi Eric,

Thank you for responding so quickly!  Have attached the plan for the remodel as well as the plan for the original home as built. I had read your responses to some similar questions previously asked and checked to make sure that No Room Definition was not checked.  Still would not recognize a 2nd floor, thus creating a 2nd wall.

Now that you commented on it, I understand your comment about the roof condition which is not good.  I could create the addition on the back side of the house but a few factors came into play, The fireplace in the Great Room is on the back side of the house, Putting the addition on the back side will eliminate the kitchen window which has a fantastic view of the foothills and "mountains" in northern NH.  Also, we have some great trees and a tremendous old apple tree that would have to be removed and am trying to keep them.  That being said, really do need to find a way to eliminate the roof condition.

The ultimate goal is to create a full second floor above the Great Room  for a master bedroom & bath as well as 1 or 2 additional bedrooms.

Farmhouse - Great Room Remodel - 592 Upper Ridge.zip Farmhouse - 592 Upper Ridge.zip

This is my interpretation of the type of roof you were trying to build.
Full height 2nd floor over the front of the house, story and a half over the living room (new master bedroom),  and a story and a half room between the 2, (possible large walk-in closet).
Wrap around porch added for the new entry.  The porch roof also helps to distract from the top heavy looks of the 2nd floor master bedroom addition.

It is unclear what the 1st floor remodel is supposed to look like.

image.thumb.png.2622e6582562af8515d3977d5b165a09.png

• 2 weeks later...

Jo_Ann,

Thank you for your thoughts!  I do like your idea.  There was originally a second front entry in the exact spot you put it.  We do have an old 1849 barn attached to the end of the house with the driveway to the entrance right next to the house, so it may be difficult to add the porch but I like the idea of the porch.  Perhaps I can add one elsewhere.

Thank you!

Edward