Very confused by object libraries

DougVT

So I'm a new user and totally confused by the object library.  Obviously the basic library that it come with is not all all enough. But even though it's minimal, it lacks some essential things - cars, for example,  There doesn't even seem to be one generic car in the collection, let alone different sizes/types.  So, OK, whatever. stupid omission by the dev.  So I go to the download page and I"m looking for cars.  I figure they will be under "Vehicles".  But under vehicles, there are only RVs, Boats, utility vehicles, and emergency vehicles.  Where do I get a plan old SUV model?

Also, in the sales video, they show lots of beautiful models, implying they are easy to download and install.  In fact one of the examples in the video is my exact refrigerator (a large LG with glass door and freezer drawer).  I want that model for my plan.  Of course it isn't in the basic library, so I go looking for it at t he web site.  Once again, I can';t find that model anywhere in the downloads, not even in the "refrigerators" section. There are a bunch of manufacturer collections, but LG is not one of them.  WTF?  So where did the one in the video come from?  When I use the search function for "refrigerator:", I get exactly two resulrs: one for GE products, and one for "Cabinet Hardware #3".  Great.

I have to say that this is causing my first impressions to be not very good.  OK, you make money selling new objects, I get it.  To sell more of them you make the default library super skimpy.  I get it.  I'm willing to pay a couple bucks for the models I want.  But the whole process of finding them and installing them is really awkward and annoying.  Not only can I not find simple stuff like cars, or specific things shown in the sales video, but the process is not at all integrated or intuitive.  I downloaded a set of models but it is a zip file - no instructions about where to unzip it or how to import it.  Why can't I browse and search the available ones from within the app, and have them automatically download and install behind the scenes?  Why is this such a pain?  Hint: you would sell more models if you made it easier!  It sure would be nice to click "See other available objects in this category" and then when I see the one I want just click on it to buy and install it.

Not sure what you are doing when looking at the core content library, but I think the core content is the same for Suite, Architectural, and Pro.  When I look under Architectural > Exteriors > Vehicles....I see a variety of generic cars, pick-ups, and suvs.

• 1 month later...

Thank you Jo_Ann.  I was very confused by this too, and could not find what I was looking for to download.  Then I came across your comment and started looking around in the app and found it under Home Designer Core Catalogs > Exteriors > Vehicles.  It allows you to not only pick the vehicles, but treats them like furniture after you place them, allowing you to adjust their dimensions.  Perfect!  Now if only I could find a tractor with a mower on it...

cars1.jpg

cars2.jpg

• 6 months later...