Can a wall material's visual attributes (Pattern, Texture, Fill) be assigned per material, rather than by each wall definition?

jKaufmann

Can a wall material's visual attributes (Pattern, Texture, Fill) be assigned per material, rather than by each wall definition? I'm trying to find a way to make materials visually apparent consistently, regardless of the wall definition in which they are used, so that if I change a visual attribute, it changes everywhere.

Yes, select a wall type or a single wall, open its Wall Specification dialog, then "Wall Types" then select "Define" where you can change the material of each or all of that wall type's material assignments. To change a single wall's material, inside or out you go to the "Materials" tab of that wall where you can assign any material to that side of a wall at your choice.

DJP

Thanks, but I was referring to having the attributes follow the material, not just one wall definition. For example, to have framing lumber, or brick, or a particular siding material, always appear the same way in plan view, or in 3D, etc. Framing lumber is the material most commonly used (regardless of exterior), but that principle applies to all materials: Can the attribute set {Pattern,Size,Fill} be assigned to the material definition, and through that to the wall definition, or is it necessary to define the same set of material attributes for each wall definition?

Thanks, but I was referring to having the attributes follow the material, not just one wall definition. For example, to have framing lumber, or brick, or a particular siding material, always appear the same way in plan view, or in 3D, etc. Framing lumber is the material most commonly used (regardless of exterior), but that principle applies to all materials: Can the attribute set {Pattern,Size,Fill} be assigned to the material definition, and through that to the wall definition, or is it necessary to define the same set of material attributes for each wall definition?

4 hours ago, jKaufmann said:

Can a wall material's visual attributes (Pattern, Texture, Fill) be assigned per material, rather than by each wall definition? I'm trying to find a way to make materials visually apparent consistently, regardless of the wall definition in which they are used, so that if I change a visual attribute, it changes everywhere.

What exactly are you doing and what's not working?

[Sorry, i don't know why my last message posted twice.]

This began with making a cantilever, faced with shake shingles, out of a brick-faced wall. In this case, the framing is continuous but the exterior changes to a different Wall Type - obtained by breaking the wall and changing from a type with brick face to a type with shingle face. Having decided that I would like different Fill colors for the materials (to highlight in plan view the continuity of the framing and discontinuity of the exterior), I realized that changing the attributes for a material in one Wall Type did not change the same material attributes in a different Wall Type.  That was inconvenient (and even seemed a little odd, I must admit), so I searched the manuals, and then the site -- and, finding nothing, decided I should ask.

3 hours ago, jKaufmann said:

I realized that changing the attributes for a material in one Wall Type did not change the same material attributes in a different Wall Type

Because you are changing a wall type definition. Materials do not have a Fill associated with them.

2 hours ago, solver said:

Because you are changing a wall type definition. Materials do not have a Fill associated with them.

Yes. That's what I meant: The material only has a Fill (or Pattern or Texture) attribute in that layer of that Wall Type definition -- though clearly those attributes have a material basis. (Brick looks like brick, lumber looks like lumber, regardless where used.)  Given that material basis, i thought I must have missed something about the material definitions. I guess not.  Thanks for the answers.