Plaster and Lath

anymuon

Is there a Plaster and Lath wall type? I can simulate this construction but it leaves out the lath. There is wire lath, of all things odd. I've found scratch coat and the plaster finish coat, but would still like to represent the lath. This is a fairly basic and common wall type in the US.

Home Designer Pro 2022.

Are we talking wood-strip lath, as in days of yore?  Use backplash to make the pieces of lath.  I used it to create battens for a board & batten siding because the library B&B options have few and unappealing color options.

Granville

Represent how? Well as lath, instead of making something up to account for the thickness. I guess I don't understand the thrust of the clarification request. Lath in my house is typically 3/8" x 1" x 36" or 54" slats space horizontally roughly 1/2' apart. In either regard, I have a house built in 1936 that has plaster and lath on the walls and ceilings. The walls are roughly 3/8" lath, 1/2" scratch coat and 1/32" finish plaster. I have some remodeled areas that are lath and drywall, some that are just drywall and some that lath, plaster and drywall. I would have thought there would be an editable material choice for lath along with the balloon framing since drywall was not around during the main period of this framing type. Some parts of the country, the lath is 2-3" by 1/2" thick. Depending on the period of construction, they can be 36"/54" for 18" on center studs or 48" for 16"/24" on center studs. I upgraded to handle balloon framing and plaster lath wall systems are an integral part of this construction method. Having balloon framing with no lath material is kind of like having a car body with no frame. That 3/4" thickness adds up when you are trying to get the walls aligned on interior dimensions. So it would be nice to have the proper representation. I'm not sure of the possible views with framing and wall construction. If you can see the layers, it would be nice to see the base as lath.

Are we talking wood-strip lath, as in days of yore?  Yes. Interesting idea. Seemed odd until I read the help on how to use. I'll have to give it a whirl.

So at this point the answer seems to be no there is no plaster and lath material or wall type and one must employ some gimmick to represent or draw in the lath as part of a wall definition.

If you want to account for the thickness of plaster and lath in your wall definition, just add 2 new materials and remove the drywall.

No gimmick required.

You will probably need to create two materials. I'd copy and rename the drywall material for the plaster, and copy and rename a wood material for the lath.

The program is like a box of tools. If you need a 2x3 and all you have are 2x4, you reach into the toolbox, pull out a saw and rip it down.