Roof for a broken-back salt-box house

Shanks343

I can make a basic salt box roof easy enough: Simply drag one of the second story walls in a bit and make it a "knee" wall. And I can do the "gull wing" thing on the lower part of the longer roof section (the "broken back" part) no problem: Check the "upper pitch" box on the corresponding first floor wall, make that pitch match the pitch of the shorter roof side (in this case 8 in 12) then reduce the pitch on the lower part (in this case to 4 in 12).

BUT ....

No matter how much I play with the "start at height" and/or "in from baseline" numbers, I can't get the eaves of the 8 in 12 sections to plane-out at the same height.

< see attached crude graphic >

Any ideas about how I might do this?

saltbox.jpg

You said salt box roof on the 2nd floor.
Is this what you want?

I think this has a lot to do with the "in from baseline" setting on the 1st floor hip wall's  upper/lower pitch ,  and also the placement of the 2nd floor knee wall.

In this pic, the knee wall is 5' in height.

image.thumb.png.2a59a2a7e81bccb01f6176dbae36123e.png

Jo

2 hours ago, LawB10 said:

On the first floor, make the pitch 4 and the upper pitch 8.

saltbox.thumb.png.2341fc0a6367b5aa8d5e1207d63ce1f9.png

Your graphic is pretty much exactly what I end up with too. But what I WANT, is for the the upper part of the long roof section (left side, in your graphic) to end at the same height as the right side. In your graphic (as in all my attempts, as well) it keeps going down.  See red line, below.

example.jpg

19 minutes ago, Jo_Ann said:

You said salt box roof on the 2nd floor.
Is this what you want?

I think this has a lot to do with the "in from baseline" setting on the 1st floor hip wall's  upper/lower pitch ,  and also the placement of the 2nd floor knee wall.

In this pic, the knee wall is 5' in height.

image.thumb.png.2a59a2a7e81bccb01f6176dbae36123e.png

No, that's what I'm getting as well. What I WANT is for the the upper part of the long roof section (right side, in your graphic) to end at the same height as the left side. See the red line vs blue line, below. But no matter how much I play with "in from baseline" I can't make it work.

ex2.jpg

Although the directions in that tutorial are the same as in the Home Designer Knowledge base, you should NOT be looking at Chief Premier tutorials.  You have a Home Designer product, so you should only be looking at tutorials for Home Designer.

Even so, I gave you the answer about what needs to change.

image.thumb.png.fe7f1f1e5b9966615e96bd2e06da57c0.png

34 minutes ago, solver said:

You could help the helpers help you by attaching your plan file with defaults like pitch, room heights and room dimensions set.

At this point I'm just trying to figure out a technique to get the roof right before I do anything else; so still experimenting, basically. I haven't yet building anything more complex/detailed than what LawB10 made, above. So there's really nothing yet to share B)

Here's is my IMPROVED crude graphic :P

saltbox.jpg

17 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

Although the directions in that tutorial are the same as in the Home Designer Knowledge base, you should NOT be looking at Chief Premier tutorials.  You have a Home Designer product, so you should only be looking at tutorials for Home Designer.

Even so, I gave you the answer about what needs to change.

image.thumb.png.fe7f1f1e5b9966615e96bd2e06da57c0.png

Didn't realize there was a difference. So now I do B). Thanks.

Forgive my newbie-ness, but how do I get that 2D side view? EDIT: Never mind ... got it <_<

The "Elevation" view really helped with dialing that in. Yup, you definitely gave me the answer. Thanks for your help, Jo_Ann :)

SaltBox1.jpg