How to specify a wall's primary side

jKaufmann

Go to solution Solved by solver,

Since "Primary Wall Side" is used in specifying how a wall's dimensions are done, I was sure I could find out how to specify which side of a wall (interior wall, if that matters) is primary, but can't find it in the Reference Manual or any of the videos. Can someone point me to an answer? - preferably with treatment of a wall with an unfinished side?

Thanks for your suggestion. (Sorry it took me a little time to comply.) I hope that, after a few passes to clean up, the question is clear.

I'm capturing as-built dimensions of a 1st-floor kitchen. Between stairs coming up from floor 0 (roughly identical stairs connect floors 1 and 2) and kitchen cupboard is a space where pipes and laundry chute go from floor 0 to floor 2, chimney goes from floor 0 to roof. That space is unfinished (so presumably not primary side of wall). When I try to capture inside dimensions, HD insists on dimensioning to inside (presumably because inside is primary side?) of cupboard wall and does not pick up the dimension from the outside of the cupboard wall to the kitchen interior wall.

I've searched the manual, tried rebuilding the walls, etc. I can't see how to specify one wall side as primary. Thanks again.

Screenshot for primary wall question.png

First let me say what a nice thing you did, taking that time to help solve my problem (and offering more time if I could not get it worked out). The key was the Reverse Layers tool, which switches primary/secondary wall sides. And now, after playing with it, I think I understand the conceptual point of it: The user gets to define "Primary Wall Side" by whatever criteria are needed for the job. For example: need one side with drywall (primary), and the other side bare (secondary)? - just define it that way. And so I did, finally.  All good now.  Thank you!