How to create a detailed framing drawing?

MTLDesign

Hello,

I'm currently learning to design using Home Designer Pro 2022 and got stuck trying to make detailed frame drawings.

From the tutorials and help on this forum I got this far:

1) Created framing

2) Created back clipped cross section view

3) Adjusted layer settings to only show the frame

Now I'm stuck creating the dimensions, as point to point dimension or end to end won't snap to the actual studs. I also checked my default dimension settings to include framing, but not luck.

This question was asked in the forum before, but as far as I can see the answer was to just "free hand" the dimensions for the studs or using a work around by drawing free hand CAD lines and dimensioning these.

So my question is, how can you snap dimensions to e.g. stud objects in a section view, rather than free-hand drawing them? 

I heard Chief Premier has a wall detail function, but I assume there must be a way to do this in Home Designer Pro?

I've attached an image to show example dimensions that I'm talking about.

Thank you in advance!

image.thumb.png.f3c6e56c99baa4d15771eaee398ef696.png

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the prompt reply, I added the signature as requested.

5 minutes ago, solver said:

What's the purpose of your detailed frame drawings?

The purpose is to share the drawings with the builder.

One of the designs I'm planning is for a shed, so there's some freedom on stud spacing, usage of blocking etc.

Note that I just shared an example, I'm really more curious about the general functionality of dimensioning section views, as I can think of other situations, such as window locations where it would become useful.

Is there a reason why the snap function is not working?

I don't do much dimensioning, but looked at how to dimension a framing section and it seems impossible. This is frequently discussed (the lack of snaps for framing) on cross section and elevations over on ChiefTalk.

Framers will typically locate openings via dimensions on plan. The centers or edges will be dimensioned for side to side, and a head height will be specified for vertical location. Sometimes a window will have a note Center on Wall when an exact dimension is not important. A window and or door schedule might give additional details.

Too much information is as bad as not having enough. Imagine providing a framing detail sheet for every wall in a house. Far better to call out special requirements where they exist.