WALL CONSTRUCTION

floridauk

,,,,i am familiar with new home construction...florida style...for a variety of background reasons BUT i am trying to understand 1] if there is a proper term for the wall design i will try to describe and, also, if by some small chance someone in the building arena might have some experience with the wall design i refer to in any form....i have seen it behind toilet, too, and because we live in a tiny, tiny home and storage is minimal, i want to do it on at least 1 long kitchen wall/windowless and the window wall.

....the attached drawing....well, no laughing....i threw it together in a few secs so it is just to try and explain the wall style, if it exists and any feedback some kind experienced builder type person might share...thanks very much

it is the obvious light blue surface behind the sink

have a good weekend

Untitled 1.jpg

i dofeel thick and bothersome but........i want a ledge with the top roughly at 40" high and 4 to6 inches deep to run behind the kitchen counters...so the standard 24" deep cabinets would actually be either 28 inches or 30 inches out from the wall.  i just am uncertain if anyone actually builds like that of is it just my design.  we are rebuilding an extension from scratch and because we live in a hobbit house...soo small...i need a ledge behind the full cabinet length for...well, just crap thatsits on the counter.  for my living style, it would just work.  i assume a solid exterior wall would be build but then this long, skinny ledge at 40 inches tall would just be framed in but in such a way...maybe obvious to say...that the plumbing or gas or whatever could be accessed by using a removable back panel of the cabinets.

this seems to be making me sound weirder as i try and describe it but i know for a fact, having that ledge...i don't us upper cabinets, only shelves...will be a massive helpfor a variety fof reasons...

i really appreciate your time and effort to help....but doesnt anyone ever build this way?????? 

I understand the idea, but why are you asking? If you want a ledge there, build one :)

In a small house, it sounds like a waste of space unless your cabinets will be extra deep too.

I once did 30" deep counters in a house of mine for a similar reason -- to keep clutter at the back of the counter top. I also made the upper cabinets deeper to match, and you might consider access to your shelves if your cabinets are further from the wall.