Deck support setback

NorseMN

Go to solution Solved by Rookie65,

The supports generated for decks always have the supports set back about a foot from the edge of the deck.

I'd like the support beam and posts to be flush with the edge of the deck.

This also works better when the railing above supports a roof.

I thought that I had once found a setting for this, but I can't find it anywhere now.

I see that the end posts are generated centered under the ends of the beam.

I'd like the outer surface of the end posts to be flush with the end of the beam, and both to be flush with the end of the deck.

Is there a way to accomplish both of these things?

DeckSupport.png

• Solution

You can set the posts to start at the end of the beam if you know what the size of your posts will be. Then you set the posts to start at the halfway dimension of the posts and that will get them flush with the ends. Having the beam sit at the outside edge of the deck is something that I wish was an option. I usually just move it with a point-point move, raise the height whatever the depth of it is, then adjust the posts and footings to fit under it.

• Upvote 1

Rookie65,

Thanks for the tip. I found the proper setting and the posts are now correctly under the beam.

solver and Rookie65,

I thought for a moment that i might be able to just make the deck a foot wider, then turn off the auto-generation and restore the original size.

But unfortunately, as soon as I found the setting, I realized that it applied to all the framing, so that wouldn't work.

So I manually re-positioned each post and footing.

Ideally, this should only be done after one is certain to make no further changes. (Not sure if that time ever comes! More accurately, I think it has arrived way too many times.)