How to relate materials list to structure

joemjr2

I am using Home Designer Architectural 2022.  I bought the program to help me design a deck.  I have finished designing my deck.  I have figured out how to generate a materials list for my deck.  I can view the deck framing by making the deck planks invisible in 3d view.  What I can't figure out is how to relate the items in the materials list to what I'm seeing in the 3d view.  When I see a particular board, etc. in the 3d view, how can I tell what item from the materials list that is?  Or when Put another way, what goes where?

In the materials list, on SOME of the items, if I right-click on it, there is an option for "Find Object in Plan", but when I choose that, it highlights a very general area of my plan in the 2-D view, which does not even show individual components.  For example, if I do this for a Stair Stringer, all it does is highlight the entire staircase.  Yes, I know what a stair stringer is, but for other things, it's not very helpful.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Joe

3 hours ago, joemjr2 said:

What I can't figure out is how to relate the items in the materials list to what I'm seeing in the 3d view

The materials list has a description for each line item. 

Why the need to relate the 3D to the materials list?

Your question makes me think you are unfamiliar with building things like a deck. 

I encourage you to have someone review your plan and not simply rely on the software to correctly generate the structure.

If your deck needs a railing, or is built up off the ground, there are code related specs that need to be considered, and depending where you are, you may need a building permit.

Yes, this is my first time building a deck, and I do plan on having someone sanity check it (probably a friend who is an architect). It's going to be awkward showing him screenshots of a the 3d view, if I have to maneuver the camera a bunch of times to get views showing all the relevant details.  I was expecting that the software was going to generate something resembling usable building plans that I could bring to him.