Looking for advice on plumbing & electrical layout in HDP

Wayn_CA

Per @solver request to "Please post questions in Q&A. Tips & Techniques is where you share your tips and techniques." and apologies for not realizing that 'Tips & Techniques' wasn't where to go when looking for them...

Hello, all!  I’m new to HDP, used CA way back in version 10 for a few years.

When we design home renovations  (my team, I mean) we typically do the layout for plumbing and electrical as well. I have too many horror stories of ‘leaving the layout to the trade’ to risk letting them do the layout - to be honest, mostly plumbers…

Is there a way - easy or not - to use HDP for this layout, OTHER than making my own library of 1-1/2”, 2” and 3” PVC pipe and fittings?

This mostly has to do with spacing/routing within wall and floor cavities, vs. cutting/reframing to fit the plumbers’ layout.

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2022 at 12:01 PM, solver said:

No.

Do you have control over framing? 

It seems that if you marked the path with notes on the plans instead of placing actual pipe, that might be good enough?

Since most of what my team does is renovation work, the only control we have over framing is the new work we install... I was looking for a way to visualize the path of new plumbing as it relates to existing plumbing and framing, hence the original question.  I have found a few apps that might help, but have mostly just given in the the old-school method of mock-up and measure...

for others looking for similar, maybe try Quickplumb or HousecallPro apps?