HOW DO YOU EDIT PART OF A SLAB IN HD-PRO 2021

thecannonguy

Go to solution Solved by solver,

Hello folks,

I am new user HD Pro 2021 and want to edit part of a slab to place a square hole through it. How would I go about this? I tried using the edit tab but it only takes the whole slab out, what am i doing wrong? I tried looking for video help but cannot find any on this site or youtube.

Thanks, D

Thanks Eric, I do realize this software has its limitations. Doing an ICF wall on top of a footing presents challenges. The actual building of the structure is commonsensical with blocks sitting on a footing and a ledger attached to the wall where ever you specify. I will keep plugging away with a test model and watch more videos as you have suggested. Its hard coming out of the hand draft age late. 

I am able to create the footings separately as individual slabs and connecting them. I am able to set a single wall on the footings on a separate floor. I need to figure out how to place the ledger on the inside wall and display the frame. After this I need to figure out how to make bonus room trusses.

• Solution
34 minutes ago, thecannonguy said:

I am able to create the footings separately as individual slabs and connecting them. I am able to set a single wall on the footings on a separate floor.

You are, I think, doing this the hard way. 

If you build a foundation with walls, those walls will automatically get a footing.

If you simply draw a wall, you can mark it as a foundation wall and it will get a footing.

The software does many things automatically -- sometimes it's not what you want, but generally it is.

You want to do a little manual building as possible and learn/allow the program to do it for you. 

ht1.thumb.png.0cd75e522b4f950915b44c9e64f29b5c.png

A search in Help for ledger will give you some ideas on how to have the program automatically generate a ledger.

ht2.thumb.png.808c9c864c981ca113f0a28e1162e05d.png

I am 80 hours into the learning curve. I scrapped my earlier tries. and started over going step by step with Philip in Chief Architects "Quick start" video. I followed the steps. When I got to laying out the interior walls, I define the walls as ICF, and there is no foundation under them which I find maddening, as, by design, ICF walls are foundation bearing by nature. So, I drop to the foundation level and Identify each of the walls separately as ICF then as foundation walls, the footings are not centered.  And, as I mentioned before, when I try to add a ledger on the inside of the styrofoam on the crawlspace side the floor frame generates through the wall to a rim on the outside edge.I tried attaching the file as you suggested but it is too big. I dont know how to shrink it for folks to help me. Very Perplexed.

10 minutes ago, thecannonguy said:

but it is too big

All someone needs is a very simple plan. Four exterior walls with a single interior wall. 

Also, the structure you are wanting. Basement, crawl, slab -- type of foundation walls, if any, and anything else that will help others understand.

17 minutes ago, thecannonguy said:

When I got to laying out the interior walls, I define the walls as ICF, and there is no foundation under them which I find maddening, as, by design, ICF walls are foundation bearing by nature

Take a look at the image I posted above. If you open Defaults and find Interior Wall, you can set the wall to have a footing. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "foundation under them".

The program was designed for standard stick framed construction. It does not know what an ICF wall is, so you will need to learn the program well enough to work around its limitations.

Thank you,  I have been trying the things you have suggested and learning things in process. Question, How would you suggest I find someone in my locality who actually uses this software who might work with me in person? (That is besides the actual company which is only 35 miles away and does not do in person training?)

Among the many things I don't understand is why the writers of this software have not defined, using the attributes of ICF Walls (ICF have existed for well over 25 years), for the allowance of placing a ledger where ever one wishes on the ICF wall. ICF walls by nature are foundation walls, after what, 12 versions of the same software?,  have not resolved this issue? It seems it would be a simple matter to have a tab/button/tool to manually set the floor frame/ledger height on an ICF Defined Wall without the program breaking the wall into sections. As in balloon framing, the studs go from one level to the next and the ledger for the floor frame is placed on the studwall surface at whatever height is designated for top of floor.  The wall frame is shown in the cross section to go completely through from set bottom floor plate to top plate. An ICF should be no different. Why, this is left out, to me, after so many versions, is a head scratcher. It would make using this software much easier in my estimation.

Again thanks for your expertise.

1 hour ago, solver said:

Take a look at the image I posted above. If you open Defaults and find Interior Wall, you can set the wall to have a footing. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "foundation under them".

Sorry for terminology issues. When I say "foundation"  (stem wall/footing), I mean the part under the wall which is hanging in mid air. The program only places these under the exterior walls. My plan calls for ICF WALLS on the inside of the floorplan. 

tempsnip.png

17 minutes ago, thecannonguy said:

The program only places these under the exterior walls. My plan calls for ICF WALLS on the inside of the floorplan. 

As you have discovered, these need to be placed manually.

42 minutes ago, thecannonguy said:

How would you suggest I find someone in my locality who actually uses this software who might work with me in person?

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/forum/15-seeking-services/

And be clear you want someone local and are using Pro 2021 and doing ICF.

Eric, Thank you for sending this video. IN the past 90 hours I have tried multiple small house test plans to see what will happen when I change one or more specifications. I have learned many things by making mistakes in the process. I have tried what is shown here in different configs. with varying results. I will attempt again at your suggestion.