Adjusting Exterior Dimensions - making more

PamelaC

Go to solution Solved by PamelaC,

Using Pro 2014

The auto exterior dimensions do a pretty good job, but sometimes  I need to adjust.  I have figured out how to move the dimension to a locate a different point by dragging the diamond.  I have figured out how to delete an unwanted point by dragging the diamond to the neighboring point.  What I can't seem to do is ADD another point that I need located on the dimension line.

Example:   I need to locate the CENTERS of window openings, but the SIDES of door openings. (customary in my area).  Defaults requires me to choose one method or the other, so I choose SIDES then adjust lines to centers of windows.  Usually I have some "extra points" (things I don't need to locate) so I can move those to where I need them, but when I run out, I can't make more and have to start over.

Any ideas?

if that is how you need to do it in your area I'd do it the other way around , get auto to do the windows , since there are usually a lot more of them and then manually dimension the Exterior Doors as needed. 

Personally as the Builder I prefer Sides ( or Rough Opening) so there are no math errors on the Jobsite but it depends on who is doing the Layout :)

M.

Thanks Kbird.  I prefer sides too,  Not sure why they do it this way but its on every set of plans I see.  Somebody told me it is because rough openings vary between window manufacturers,.....but so do doors.  Somebody else told me it has to do with shearwall and other wind related calculations, but windows matter there too.  Who knows.

I have considered making a separate "framing" set of drawings, simplified with out all the fluff, and using sides for all rough openings.  Do you think framers would welcome that, or consider it confusing, or maybe even insulting?

A lot of Manufacturers have switched to undersized units  these days , they tell you it is avoid framing errors but I think is cos it saves them thousands of dollars over the course of a year on  few hundred thousand window units in less materials.  a 3' x 4' window used to come as a 3' x 4' unit and when youframed it you made the hole 3/4" bigger in each direction , these days you frame at the "given or nominal size" of 3'x4' as the window is actually 35 1/2" X 47 1/2".  

But hey you are the Architect , so you are the Boss , no need to be one of the "sheep" following local practices  :) ... draw them all sides if that's how you prefer it , they'll get used to it  :)

I assume the local City Planning Office doesn't have a preference?

M.

Pro is pretty good no doubt , and as a Builder/Remodeler did most of what I needed , though it would be pretty slow way to be doing Construction Docs full time, if I was producing Drawings for a living Chief Premier would be a no Brainer... for me it was a "want" not really a need to get X6 , though of course the hope now is that I can make it pay for itself at some point , of course I maybe on X7 ( free upgrade) for the rest of my life :)

M.

"Both" is not an option in Pro 2014.  I am having some success by selecting "rough" then "borrowing" the extra locates to slide elsewhere, BUT, after tweaking all my dimensions I decided to change the front door to a different style.  The dimensions deleted with the old door, and to get the new door added to that dimension line I have to do "autoexterior dimensions" again, which destroys all my tweaks and I have to start all over again.

I can draw a NEW dimension from the new door to one other object manually, but there seems to be no way to incorporate the door into an existing dimension line.  Deleting a locate point from a line is easy, adding one back in...can't be done without redimensioning the entire floor.

Pamela, please view some or all of these Home Designer Training Videos that address "Dimensioning"

you will find that you can manually add dimension points to existing strings of dimensions and or just create manually new ones as you require without having to start over from scratch. I commonly use auto-exterior dimensions after I set up "Dimension Defaults - Locate Objects" and then manually edit the results for my plans

http://video.homedesigner.chiefarchitect.com/?search=dimension

DJP

• Solution

Thank you David.  I had watched numerous of videos looking for an answer, but somehow missed it.  The solution is right there in the "Manual Dimensions" video you linked at 2:22, apparently, you grab the main "diamond" that is below the dimension line to the new point to create a new locate!!!