Railing posts too elaborate

NorseMN

Go to solution Solved by NorseMN,

I just upgraded from my very old Home Designer Pro 10 (2011) to a shiny new 2022 version.

It appears to be a good move.

But, it's generating huge, fancy railing posts, and I can't find any way to change the style.

How do I fix this?

Also, if I lose the tool to move and rotate the 3D image, I can't get it back. I don't see it in any tool bar (that I have open).

Am I just not recognizing the icon?

Thanks.

BigRailPosts.png

10 minutes ago, NorseMN said:

How do I fix this?

Open the object and review the available settings.

11 minutes ago, NorseMN said:

Also, if I lose the tool to move and rotate the 3D image, I can't get it back.

What is "lose the tool"?

There are lots of videos on the Chief YouTube channel. Watching the recent hour long Home Designer webinar will help you get up to speed with the new version.

solver (aka Eric?),

I did search the forum for answers before posting my question.

I couldn't find anything relevant.

Since I just upgraded and downloaded the software yesterday, I assumed that "Home Builder Pro 2022" was sufficient. The build is: 23.3.0.81x64, October 28, 2021.

I have looked through every possible setting that I can find. I assumed it would be a property of Railing. The style of the post that's generated is quite elaborate, in my opinion. I never saw thins in my prior experience. So I expected that there must be some set of post styles somewhere. I can't find anything. Not even post dimensions.

When I wrote "lose the tool", I meant that the cursor simply disappears. Moving my mouse does nothing. In my old version, there were separate toolbar icons for "pointer" and "3D control". I could always get the 3D cursor by clicking on the tool bar icon. It disappears after I tab to a different view and back.

Go to the bonus catalogs and download "Arcways Stairways." They have a good selection of newels and balusters that may suit you. And while you're there, look at the other catalogs you can download for free and some you pay for. Well worth the investment, depending on the type of work you do.

I already downloaded the Core Catalogue. I don't see anything of interest to me on the web site Bonus Catalogs.

This looks to me like just more fancy millwork. I'd be happy with a simple, square post.

I retired two years ago to a Caribbean island, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras.

I'm trying to build a simple, inexpensive house. The example designs offered by web site are far to elaborate.

How do I just get a simple railing style like I had in my old version? (Image attached.)

TypicalSimpleRail.png

Maybe it's a PC issue when the cursor disappears. Not confident of that.

Just now, I tabbed to a 3D view and saw that the pointer tool was selected, rather than the 3D control.

As I mentioned, I can't find any toolbar icon that lets me select the 3D cursor.

In my older version, when in a 3D view, there was an icon on the toolbar to select the 3D cursor. (Image attached,)

HDP_2011_ToolBarIcons.png

• Solution

Eric,

I think I have things somewhat sorted out.

Yes, I did start by choosing a template other than the Default Style. That's presumably how I got the fancy rail posts.

I did finally find a Baluster Type parameter, which can be set to Square, round or library. But setting it to square made no difference in the 3D view.

I also had the issue that I was looking at a railing that was generated as part of a landing, so it's properties are controlled by the stair settings.

So most of its properties are greyed out.

And, I found a Baluster Type parameter in the stair properties, but changing it to square also made no difference.

It appears to me that template properties override at least some local settings.

I had already found from my old 2011 software, that the template also overrides default settings.

I had many instances of an item that I wanted to change, and I had to edit each material, one, by one, for each of them, because changing defaults didn't help.

And yes, where possible, I selected use defaults, for each item.

For future reference, if there's an easier way, I'd love to know it.

I guess my railing issues are resolved. Thank you for your suggestions

I'd still like a resolution of the "3D cursor" issue.

If I select the "pointer cursor" in a 3D view, I can find no way to get the "3D cursor" back, other than to close the view and reopen it.

There must be a toolbar icon to select the "3D cursor", but I can't see it, or don't recognize it.

I guess I failed to click on "Mark as Solution", which I've now done on my own previous reply.

Rookiie65

Thanks for your suggestion, but I learned already that the Newels/Balusters properties are greyed out in the landing properties.

It appears that they are inherited from the Stair properties. (Image attached.)

Jo_Ann,

The single label "Newels/Balusters" provides access to the combined properties of both components.

Sorry if I was unclear.

Thanks to both of you.

I think we can move on now.

Reid Isberg (aka NorseMN)

LandingProperties.png