Drawing walls from interior measurments

laurajcox

Set up your Dimension Defaults ( Edit - Default Settings - Locate Objects) to "Surfaces" so your dimension lines locate to wall surfaces (if you are measuring an existing space, you are probably measuring it from its existing "surfaces").  At all times, you make the software do what you want it to do by studying how it works and then practicing with it until you fully understand how to make it do what you need done.

Study the articles listed here:

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/search/?q=dimensioning&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&default_tab=all&site=chief_architect&client=chief_architect&restrict=ChiefArchitect&proxystylesheet=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiefarchitect.com%2Fsearch%2Fchiefsearch_stylesheet.xslt&output=xml_no_dtd

and you will then know what you need to know.

DJP 

You have not said what program you are using but here is something you should be aware of.

It is important to set up your defaults first. Watch lots of videos on setting up defaults. 

Play with the program one step at a time until you understand the defaults and measurements and how they work.

Here is one example of how upsetting it can be to draw a plan and the measurements keep changing to measurements you do not want.

When drawing the outside of your building you are best to change the measurements wall by wall as you draw them.

However if you have not set up the defaults to auto dimension first you will run into strife.  

Then when you ask questions here people will not know what you are doing wrong so it is best you first understand dimensioning.

Lets say you have not setup defaults "Auto Dimensions" 

You will draw the outside walls and change the dimensions and they will not actually be the outside dimension that you want or need. This very smart program will give you the actual measurements it thinks you want.

In photo one I have drawn a house outline for you that is 12300mm long and 6300mm wide. so about 41'x21'

Because I did not have Auto Dimensions turned on The width of the house became 6450mm even though I told the program that I wanted it to be 6300mm

The program when auto dimensions is not on, tells you the correct dimensions when thickness of walls are added to the measurement.

I hope this is not as clear as mud........

And I hope my photos assist you to understand a little bit more about dimensions and the reason why it is important to watch the dimension videos several times and read about dimensions and play with a plan before you start an important design. There are some wonderful people that answer questions here. They will also give you some great answers.  But tell them the program you are using such as Pro or Architect or....

Also learn how to take a screen shot and upload that.  

post-620-0-09663700-1424549972_thumb.png

post-620-0-89754100-1424549977_thumb.png

Thanks. I have tried a couple of the suggestions and am still not figuring it out. I have been playing with it and using the reference material. I will try watching some videos. I am using Home Designer Suite.

For example, it does not matter if I have Surfaces checked in the dimension preferences or not. If I draw a room that I want to be 5ft square on the inside, I get a 5 ft square room on the outside walls and a 4'3" square room on the inside. I have to add 8 inches to each wall to get a 5' sq room on the inside. That is easy when doing a square room, which I am not doing. My room has all sorts of nooks and crannies and trying to figure out when to add for wall thickness and how much is driving me crazy. 

try checking the "both Wall sides" box in the defaults , so the dimension will "see" the interior side of exteriors walls too, other wise it will dimension to the exterior walls dimension layer as defined in the Wall Types Definition DBX (dialog Box) for each wall.

Note that Temporary Dimensions are not effected by the Dimension Defaults so that maybe part of the confusion ?

have a look in your Ref. Manual on Dimensions>Locate Objects  and at this KB Article

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00491/74/Home-Designer/Dimensions/Changing-Your-Dimension-Settings.html

If you have already drawn dimensions or used the Auto exterior dimensions icon you will need to delete them to get them to update as once drawn they are "Set" and do  not update dynamically if you change the defaults. Not sure if Suite has the Delete Objects button on the Edit menu to make this easier or not? ( I have Pro)

M.