importing .dae files

warrenwest

Me again :)

So Im now at the point where I'm starting to furnish my interior. However some of the furnishings are supplied by a specific company and they have most of their products on 3D warehouse ( Kare design, if it helps at all ). 

Being a little technically challenged I messed about and managed to import a dae version of the table I needed. Unfortunately my surprise and overwhelming joy of achieving this was short lived as I realized that it did not import any materials or textures, it only gave me a solid grey shape of the table. In this case it was no big deal as HD had a suitable wood to 'paint' it with but for other objects this will not be an option.

What have I done wrong?

W

Mick,

Thanks for your response again. One day when I'm able I will be paying the favor back here on this forum  B)

As I can't see a way to directly post the link, if you search 3d warehouse for: 

KARE 78993 Table Pure Nature 195x100cm 5cm (Tisch Pure Nature 195x100cm), you will find it

Apparently I can't attach the .dae file here as I get "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"  

objects at 3D Warehouse are free (no cost in terms of money, up front) but some of the symbols are more trouble than they are "worth" in terms of their inherent "quality". I often download several symbols so I can get at least one that I can use, then throw the others away. How they look when imported into Home Designer is the make-break point. If you download a loser, then just ditch it and try another one. Sometimes I can take one of those symbols to download and then edit it in Sketch Up to improve its appearance in HD (Sketch Up is also a free download and relatively easy to use to make and edit objects).

The outcome is your major concern, not necessarily how long it takes, just do not accept early defeats and persist until you get what you want done.

DJP

For whatever reason the textures for the.dae come in a separate folder from the model when you unzip Collada file (.dae) and it seems HD and Chief don't import this .dae correctly however Sketchup 2014 opened the file fine , so I exported the file from Sketchup as a .3ds model instead and now it works properly , the textures are there when imported into HD , though there was an error about there being "no faces" it seems to be okay

see if you can import this HD file I exported from my Library for you,since I am not sure if you have sketchup or not ?

Kare Pure Table.calibz

You could also I guess import the textures from the unzipped Collada file into HD as new materials , then assign them to the "grey" model....

M.

• Upvote 1

Thank you both very much for the advice.

Mick, the table works perfectly in my plan, thank you for the effort.

I have Sketchup 14 but I find it really challenging to learn 2 of these complicated programs at the same time ;)

Bloody hell, I have still so much to learn.......

W

I don't use Sketchup (SU) at all really Warren , just for stuff like this or because I have Pro 10 still I can import a SU 2015 file and then resave it as a SU Ver.7 file so I can use it in Pro10. for that I use the save as menu item an open the drop down box, and save as the required version, to save as another type of 3D Model such as this table, as a .3ds file, use the Export>3DModel Menu item.

M.

Thanks again Mick I followed your instructions and hit another brick wall.

From what I can tell only the full version ( pro ) of sketchup can export as a .3ds and I don't have this.( my only options were .dae or .kmz ) I also googled for some converter and found one but it too could not convert the file even though it stated it could. 

I will need to do quite a lot of these conversions so Im going to need to find a solution pretty quickly. Any paid reliable conversion apps out there to try?

Any advice is most welcome as always :) 

I had not noticed that  you need the Pro Version for .3ds as mine is still in its 8hr "free" Pro evaluation period , so you might need to do a batch conversion of all your models at once. SU 2015 is out now too but I still have SU8 and 2014 installed.

Are all there files like this or was it just that particular Table?

Have you tried contacting the Company direct ?

M.

They have hundreds of different furnishings and that one was one of the 'easiest' so to speak. The majority of them have even less exporting options and don't even include .dae as an option. Only .skp and .kmz.

So I guess Im better off looking for a .skp to .3ds converter ? I have been having very little luck with google :(   All this file conversion stuff is way out of my area of expertise so Im basically shooting in the dark here.

I suspect contacting the company will be of little use as I doubt they will accommodate the ONE guy in Poland running HD :unsure: 

I am not a Mac guy so don't know of any converters.

I tried a few of their other Models in .skp ( couldn't find another .dae to try) and the .skp's imported fine but I don't think the MAC version of HD does .skp's right?

Try sending a report to Tech Support along with the file for them to try , perhaps HD's import function needs updating in the next Program Update?

the dae files I found on the KARE 3D page came as .zip , with the .dae and images in a 'model' folder ,I am not sure if that is normal?

Did you try importing the materials in the 'model' folder into HD and then assigning them to the table?

I have been looking and can't really find any converters. Crazy.

Yep, Mac (or HD on Mac ) does not support .skp. I can download the files and view them in sketchup no problem.

Thanks for the tip again Mick, I will send a report to Tech support and it is an issue which I believe should be addressed since the PC versions of HD ( I assume ) have no problems importing these files. And yes I tried importing the 'model' folder without success.

In the mean time I will have to be even more creative.

Thanks again.

Warren , I guess I may not have been clear ?  you would need to import each of the textures (pics) from inside the model folder separately into HD , not the Folder itself, and make them a new material , then assign/apply them to the model as needed. So still a bit of work. 

These KB Articles should help with that...........

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00138/49/Home-Designer/Materials/Adding-a-Custom-Material.html

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-01084/49/Home-Designer/Materials/Creating-a-Custom-Library-Material.html

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00924/49/Home-Designer/Materials/Customizing-a-Material.html

Hi Mick,

Yep, read you loud and clear. I just don't have the time nor the patience to fanny about with importing multiple files etc. I sent off an email to tech support and they came back with "Thank you for contacting us regarding importing .skp files into the Mac version. Please accept our apologies for the frustration: unfortunately, we have been unable to do this because Trimble, the owner of Sketchup, has not released 64-bit versions of the files that we would need to make this possible. I spoke with one of our software engineers, and he thought they might have very recently, but it would have been much to recent for us to incorporate into our own software.

Regardless, I will be glad to submit a feature request to our Software Development team to add this functionality as soon as possible."

So it looks like its only a matter of time :)

Thanks as always for the advice.

No problem , glad to help if I can , but thanks for reporting back to the Thread so future Users will know about the Issue too .

Perhaps this 64bit version program is why .dae files seem to have a "model" folder zipped with them nowadays , your file was the 1st time I have seen that but I am not that familiar with MAC programs.

You could always email KARE as a Design Professional and see if they are familiar with the issue so their 3D artist can also save files to older versions perhaps like you can with .skp's  , if you are spec'ing their Lines they should be interested...

Warren X7 Has been released and as long as you import your KARE Table .dae  ( not drag and drop in plan) it now imports correctly with all the textures , I did renamed the textures by adding the letter "a" at the of their names on import to ensure no conflicts but it appears to work now, not sure if they will fix this in X6/2015 titles or not though.

M.  

• 1 month later...