2nd Level Walls Disappear After building Roof (Photos)

wazzubrad

Roof Planes cut off walls.

It looks like the software doesn't think some of Floor 2 is an enclosed space, so it's generating a roof based off the first floor.

Did you try creating any of the second floor space with a wall that was already there (an automatically generated Attic wall)?  Attic walls "No Room Def" selected by default, so double check the Specification dialog for all of the exterior walls and if you see any are Attic Walls, uncheck "No Room Def" so that they can be used to enclose a room space.

• Upvote 1

Hey Kat, I looked in the "A" level and there were no walls present in the attic. I also checked each wall specification dialog and none were checked as "No Room Def". This issue is confounding to me. Its the second time I have drawn this plan and the first time I didn't have issues with this.

Kbird, no I don't. I have zoomed in closely to check all wall connections also. When I build the roof, I do get these series of errors;

"Roof overhang may intrude too far into wall on floor 1." - I have inspected the "circled" area on the plan that is calls out, but I don't see an issue.

"Roof overhang may intrude too far into wall on floor 2." - I have inspected the "circled" area on the plan that is calls out, but I don't see an issue.

"The layers may be reversed for this wall. Normally the layers appearing at the top in the layer diagram in the Wall Specification dialog should be toward the outside. Select the wall and click on the "Reverse Layers" edit button to correct this." - The error does not call out an area on the plan with a circle, so I am not sure where the error is located. It gives this error twice before building the roof.

I do have a couple areas that I suspect is causing some issues. One area is the stair landing on the 2nd level, I have 2 half walls that overlook the Living area below. Also, in the living area on the 1st level, I have 18' tall walls. One of these walls joins the MBed and on the 1st level is an Interior wall on both sides, but on the 2nd level it is an Exterior wall as there is no living space above the MBed. I have included photos of this to show what I am trying to convey.

post-1859-0-97783500-1424291150_thumb.jpg

post-1859-0-44246900-1424291162_thumb.jpg

I am very blonde LOL but have you accidently selected invisible walls.  It also looks like you do not have your 1st and second walls aligned. see picture I have added to check that.

When you are in plan view go to the second floor click on each wall to see if this tool shows up. If it does click it and it will line the wall up with the wall below.

That will only fix the walls you need to have aligned with 1st floor.

I often got weird things happening with this program.  I naturally blamed the program. Because I am very cleaver it cannot be me.. Right......

Mmmm Very sadly I learned it was me. Unlike a drawing board where you can see your errors as you make them this program talks to you in pictographs.

If we are not able to help you with our answers then select the second floor delete it and redraw it paying more attention to details. Good luck..

post-620-0-73557500-1424296895_thumb.png

post-620-0-73557500-1424296895_thumb.png

post-620-0-55983600-1424297101_thumb.png

I suspect that no one will be able to give you solutions, until you upload the plan file.

Make a copy or do a 'save as'  (as has been already suggested).

Open that plan and strip it down of all items that are not relevant to the structure  (cabinets,furniture,plants), and save it.

Close the file > find it in the HD folder, and upload it.  It should not exceed the upload limit.

I think that you have a Ceiling Height messed up somewhere on Floor 1 - because if you turn on Auto Rebuild Roofs, then select Reset to Defaults (under the Edit menu) with "1st Floor" and "Ceiling Heights" checked, it rebuilds correctly (except for one area in the back where a first floor roof plane cuts off the wall above it on floor 2).

Checked the ceiling heights and the absolute elevations on each floor and adjusted a couple heights in the 1st level living rm so that the absolute elevation in that rm, matched the 2nd levels absolute elevation. Then rebuilt the roof and got the same results.

I am wondering if it might be something with the wall between the Mbed and Living. On the 1st level, the wall is Interior on both sides, but if you go directly above to the 2nd level, that same wall is Interior in the living rm but exterior above the MBed. It is not drawing as that in the 3D views though.

the reversed wall errors are due to the LH Porch column though they appear to be the correct way around at least when I click on them the ext. side (edit handle) is too the outside. but there is an issue inside that entry , I see OSB anf the RH columd top appears angled while LH colmn is flat topped ie hits the ceiling....

I see no issue with room heights they all appear to be 109 1/8 under the bad area, Kat's "fix" doesn't work for me, not 100%, infact it makes worse? , the Bad area over garage heals but the part over the front entry/office/kitchen gets screwed up.

Terrain appears to be about a foot low looking at porch slab and garage doors...

Try the Lower wall if roof butts setting in the Living room/Masterbed Wall wall's DBX to fix that. 

Hi Brad , yep I understand you want a concrete slab for the weight room , what I was referring too though was the fact that you have designated the Room Type as Slab in that Area which may have unexpected side effects as a Slab Room is a Hybrid Room Type, though I am not 100% sure it effects you in this particular situation.

Well you are just down the road, next time you are in C. d'Alene, call into head Office and ask for help  :)

M.

Brad I had a thought , try making all the rooms on Level 1 the same height (109 1/8) , and where you want the taller Level 1 Rooms eg kitchen/ living Room/stairwell draw them in on the 2nd Level and designate the Room as "Open Below" , and Lower the ceiling height as needed in those areas that are not full 2 storey high.

M.

Kbird - thanks for the suggestions. I will give those a shot. Didn't think about the reprecussions of the slab rm. I did check the absolute elevation in there and it matches the rest of level 1, but maybe something else in there is causing the issue. I do like the idea of making all rooms in level 1 same height and then opening things up with the open to below idea. Will give it a shot. I didn't know CA was based up there until after I purchased the software.

Something that happened to me may help you I setup a template, when I did somehow another floor plan was drawn 30 meters away on "0" layer. That meant whenever I opened that template and saved it ready to start a new house plan my drawing would do strange things. Ann Smith at support found it. And another time Derek found something like a soffit many kilometers away from my house plan. 

Maybe you should have a look on all floors to see if there is something drawn where it should not be.

DJP - That video was fantastic! I learned a lot more than just fixing the roof by paying attention to how you were moving around in the plan, Shift + F6 I love it! And It fixed my issue so thank you.

Ok, so I had originally set my default room heights for each level at 109-1/8" rough for a 9' plate height and typical wall framing and the same for the 2nd level except I wanted an 8' plate height so it was set to 97-1/8". When I adjusted the default setting height to 108" and 96" and rebuilt the roof, I got the same result as in your video. Perfect.

On the entry "porch" columns I hadn't set the correct terrain elevation yet to bring the ground up to the slab elevation so that should hopefully take care of that issue.

For the interior entry area, I wanted a plate height of 144" so that is why that roof pops up above the porch roof. I manually edited it as you suggested and it cleaned that area up very nicely.

You mentioned somewhere around the 10min mark of the video that some things just need to be cleaned up. My question is, those areas are mostly the exterior walls that are on the 2nd level were OSB or stud ends are showing though. How do you edit those areas to show the designated exterior material? Some of those areas are Int/Int walls on the lst level and to change to Int/Ext on the 2nd level I haven't figured out yet.

Yes persistence is key, my goal is to be proficient enough with the software to build my own plans. Whether I am efficient enough though is to be determined!

Thanks again for taking the time to show me this. I am up an running again!

-Brad

My question is, those areas are mostly the exterior walls that are on the 2nd level were OSB or stud ends are showing though. 

Generally speaking, you just intend to have it that way you wish and then tinker around with anomalies until you get the result you want. As you have seen, roof planes and wall poly-lines can be edited, holes can be patched up. This software is sophisticated but it is not perfect in anyone's hands by default. Your most important attributes will be stubbornness, patience and intention to succeed. The more you study and practice, the faster and smoother you will get (Rome was not built in a day either). Doing this kind of work with this software to me is FUN, so have fun!

DJP