Any way to create custom cabinet doors in-program?

4ndrew

Would like to build a Shaker-style frame but with additional components as show here in bright green. I can model them externally, but then, I could model everything externally.

I'm assuming the answer is that "Chief can do this", but thought I'd ask anyway.

1934127819_ScreenShot2021-11-26at7_07_18AM.thumb.png.ee1a9d7f38b6e4c85142383a4b23b966.png

You should also be able to do that using Sketch Up in such a way that the faces are separate in the resulting symbol so when imported into HD Pro you have two faces to assign materials to. I am not saying that learning Sketch Up to that degree and then importing the resulting symbol into HD Pro would be "easy", but can be done by someone determined to have what they want.

DJP

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

You should also be able to do that using Sketch Up in such a way that the faces are separate in the resulting symbol so when imported into HD Pro you have two faces to assign materials to. I am not saying that learning Sketch Up to that degree and then importing the resulting symbol into HD Pro would be "easy", but can be done by someone determined to have what they want.

DJP

Hi David -

I've been using SketchUp much, much longer than HDP... I'm referring not to the color but to the geometry - I would like to replicate cabinets we're considering installing. I suppose I could model the wedges and add them manually, but was hoping to avoid that.

9 hours ago, scottharris said:

Here’s a video on  Creating a Custom Cabinet Door in Chief Architect.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5532/creating-a-custom-cabinet-door.html

Hi Scott-

I'm not really interested in getting CA since it's just for home use for some remodeling projects. Unfortunately it feels a lot of basic functionality was removed from CA to make a "homeowner" version. Many quesitons asked here have an answer of either how to use workarounds or "Chief can do it."

Perhaps the homeowner versions should include more things like handrail choices and working undercabinet lighting, and less things like the ability to see Tyvek and half-operational material calculators.

There certainly have been some improvements (eg elevation views of interiors) but I'm still scratching my head at some features that are truly needed for non-professionals.

Since it's a detail you are having trouble finding, how about if you draw a section view of the door in your plan using wedges, etc. Where it's a small detail and likely to be missed even if you can model it at the scale the 3D views default at. This will save you time and get your point across if it's critical. 

15 minutes ago, Rookie65 said:

Since it's a detail you are having trouble finding, how about if you draw a section view of the door in your plan using wedges, etc. Where it's a small detail and likely to be missed even if you can model it at the scale the 3D views default at. This will save you time and get your point across if it's critical. 

Hi Keith-

I was hoping to add it for visualization; it's a noticeable detail that's quite different from the included or bonus doors, and seeing it in context, in all affected doors, would make a pretty visible difference.