Building bump-outs for dormers.

MGM_Home

Hello Everyone,

Trying to created a "dormer bump-outs" with no luck. I have 2nd. floor with roof starting at 5 feet and then continuing on to 8 ' at 12/12 pitch. When I bump out the 2nd. floor portion of the wall for the window, the wall is going to its full height, as it should , then I place the window in the bump out that is is higher than the existing roof plane. I created a manual roof planes on the top of the bump out, but then I can't close little space between the new "dormer" roof planes and  the lower main roof plane. In essence, I want a knew wall from the new small roof place to the main - existing lower roof plane....See attached a picture of examples...Any ideas how to solve this....? 

Window Bump-out.jpg

Window Bump-out_Option1.jpg

Window Bump-out_Option_topview.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey MGM_Home, I see that you have not found (or at least posted) a solution to your problem.  I had the same issue and after watching some videos and researching other similar questions, I have a working solution for me.  It might work for you too.  Essentially, I drew two additional external walls into the room, long enough to intercept with the dormer's ceiling planes, then edited the wall to "Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom".  There is still a small piece of the dormer's ceiling plane that I cannot figure-out how to eliminate, but at least it solves the weird drywall issues without the extra walls and closes the "gap".  My next step is to see if I can hide those extra walls in the plan view.  Hope that helps.

UPDATE: After posting this, I went back into the model to see if I could hide the extra walls (making them invisible didn't produce the desired results).  Anyway, I read about hiding attic walls, so I tried redrawing the dormer roofs without raising the ceiling in the room, which created attic walls to close the "gap".  However, that created walls above the roof as well as below. I was able to use "Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom" to get rid of the wall in the room, but could not delete the wall created above the roof, without it re-creating the wall below the roof.  Anyway, still not the best solution, but going with my original method until I can figure-out how to create a better solution.

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 7.49.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 7.49.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 7.50.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 7.51.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 7.52.11 AM.png

• Upvote 1