Painting a wall

warrenwest

Hi,

Im starting to regret buying HD. Now on only my second design project using this software I want to pull my hair out. Why am I having such difficulty in trying to simply paint a wall? I need to paint several walls different colors within the same space. I have learnt from my first project to avoid the material painter ( eye dropper ), which I have done. I have been attempting to use the wall specification dialogue to change each wall to no avail. I can change it in the preview but this does nothing in 3D view, except that you can notice a thin layer of the color ( grey-charcol ) under the existing layer of paint ( see attached pic ). I can select " no room definition " and then the color appears as intended but then the bloody molding disappears! 

I do not have the time nor patience to sit and read through the user manual hoping against all odds to find a solution for my particular problem ( I have searched the forum for this topic and drew a blank ). Im trying to paint a wall not reengineer the space shuttle, aaaaarg!

Some wise soul pls guide me through this mess :)

W

post-794-0-01958400-1423777625_thumb.png

Have you studied and practiced with the Materials Eye-Dropper (It has four distinct and different modes of use)?

Have you studied and practiced using the Materials Spray Can (It has four differing modes as well)?

If I want to color just one wall, I commonly just open its dialog box and change just that wall by way of its Materials Tab in the Wall Specification Dialog.

This software offers so many different ways to apply materials to objects that an unschooled person can create havoc and chaos fairly easily, until learned it can then seem quite mysterious and vexing.

The quality and functioning of your video card is also important, that kind of hardware uses software drivers to communicate with your monitor, it that software is corrupt or out of date, it can also cause unwanted results.

I spent many uncomfortable hours learning this software, so I understand (generally) where you are coming from.

DJP

• Downvote 2

Hi David and thanks for your response, however Im still in the dark.

I have used the wall specification box to change the color and as I have stated nothing happens except for the results that I have indicated and explained above.

I have created a new "test house" to test my graphics card and coloring "skills" and it works quite well as you can see by the attachment. I just can't get it to work on my existing project so it must mean that something is wrong with the plan somehow and I have no idea what :(

post-794-0-78925800-1423838941_thumb.png

and when I apply the EXACT same procedure to my "real"plan the program places the color UNDERNEATH the existing layer of paint  :huh:

Its doing this to every wall I try to paint so it seems to be a plan wide problem or setting I got wrong

post-794-0-78410600-1423839263_thumb.png

If it is occurring in just one plan, that plan is probably corrupt (psychotic-unpredictable etc), this usually happens to new learning users who made too many wrong guesses as to settings, which when they accumulates too many of these, the plan becomes corrupt. Since 1994, I have seen this happen 11 or 12 times and the common denominator is they were files created by new, learning users.

You always have recourse to Tech Support and perhaps it is something that can be sorted out. I have seen several such plans that no one could sort out (fix-repair). Send a copy to Tech Support and see what they say.

DJP

• Downvote 1

Hi and thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately nothing worked. Since I don't have the luxury of time, sending the plans off and waiting for a useful response from tech support wasn't an option for me. I uninstalled the program, reinstalled and started over. Everything is working fine. For the moment.

W

• 2 months later...

I had exactly the same frustration. I have found the answer.....I hope.

1. First make sure that you break the walls.
  2. Then in 3D view select the wall by clicking and using the Tab key to make sure that the wall only is highlighted.
  3. Use CTRL-E to open the wall object (dont use the mouse right-click to do this)
  4. Choose the wall material from the dialog box

This works for me after many trial and errors.

Steve