How to model these walls?

4ndrew

I've been trying to figure out how to (successfully) model our bar area... without going into everything I've tried, I'm posting an image below. Bonus points for the little niche above the TV alcove :)

[edit] I'm also having trouble keeping the 45˚ segments behaving...

1536415816_ScreenShot2021-08-31at12_42_43PM.thumb.png.c49f6a7a9e31691367f272d7c2bf978c.png

• 4ndrew changed the title to How to model these walls?

I'm sure this is a lot more complicated solution than DJP or Eric would recommend, but I used walls, invisible wall (with a "Doorway" with no trim), rail, and slabs.

Slabs and soffits are your friends if you want to do anything out of the ordinary, check them out.  As to the niche above the TV, like I said, slabs.

For the angl2026809585_BarWalls.thumb.jpg.232fc7601b7459a06a553ab1ee510654.jpged walls make sure you have angle snaps on and you'll be surprised how much the software takes care of it.  

Good luck, reply if you need any more info,

Dennis

• Like 1

11 hours ago, solver said:

What's the problem?

Hey Eric-

Two main issues - 1) can't get corners at the 45s accurate, and 2) can't figure out how to create accurate openings.

I see below (above) a few people have modeled this, so I'll move ahead... :)

11 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Make sure "Angle Snaps" mode is ON, that will help and walls naturally snap to a 45 degree angle much easier.

DJP

Hi David -

I did, actually... the settings say angle snaps are 15 degrees, but for some reason, I'm getting something like 8 snaps through a 90 degree angle. I'll have to look again when I'm back at that computer to see if there's something I missed.

I thought there was a snap-lock modifier key to hold down to limit it to 45 degree snaps, but I may be thinking of other software.

Hi - Thanks everyone -

I've made some progress using walls and soffits, but have a few challenges. Starting with walls/soffits only for walls...

1) I can't figure out how to get the low wall to join the high wall without the tall wall becoming angled on the end. I want the opposite to happen. (See pic)

2) I assume I would draw soffits individually, adjust size / angle after drawing, then move them manually?

2a) Is there a way to get the soffits to match up exactly to the walls below?\

3) Assume countertops work the same way as the soffits?

wall-angle.thumb.jpg.3a5163d622e22ea1dfd52b0fcbb6bc78.jpg        wall-angle-2.jpg.2f504adb4371626cc30f287f27e9f6fe.jpg

thanks

16 hours ago, solver said:

Unless you need framing, I'd use solids (soffits, slabs, countertops etc) for everything.

For the niche, open Help and search niche.

Hi Eric,

I'd like to be able to use the wall tools as intended so as to be able to include trim, windows, openings, etc.... is there a way to prevent walls from joining, or to change the join order?

On 9/1/2021 at 12:55 AM, solver said:

All walls -- no sofffits.

Just depends on how accurate you want the model.

ht1.thumb.png.e65e8d6fc7655dc1c09b26dee36bec23.png

Would be interested to see how you did this. I've tried but... maybe that's why you commented about accuracy.

I'm not sure how you set up the walls.

On 8/31/2021 at 10:51 PM, BrewerDesign said:

I'm sure this is a lot more complicated solution than DJP or Eric would recommend, but I used walls, invisible wall (with a "Doorway" with no trim), rail, and slabs.

Slabs and soffits are your friends if you want to do anything out of the ordinary, check them out.  As to the niche above the TV, like I said, slabs.

For the angl2026809585_BarWalls.thumb.jpg.232fc7601b7459a06a553ab1ee510654.jpged walls make sure you have angle snaps on and you'll be surprised how much the software takes care of it.  

Good luck, reply if you need any more info,

Dennis

Thanks Dennis - still having trouble with the area where the low wall meets the high wall - would you mind elaborating a bit?

1 hour ago, 4ndrew said:

Would be interested to see how you did this. I've tried but... maybe that's why you commented about accuracy.

Accuracy as in framing.

Attach another picture or two of the area that shows wall connections and the niche for better ideas.

I used a 2nd floor room to supply the walls Jo Ann shows in green.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 3:16 PM, solver said:

I used a 2nd floor room to supply the walls Jo Ann shows in green.

Thought it might be something like that :)

Here's a closer image of the area where the walls meet.

bar.thumb.jpg.8c1bcf0b53c0c047521c0f163bf44937.jpg

Regarding accuracy, this is primarily for visualization, though the more accurate I can be, the better.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 11:30 AM, solver said:

Unless you need framing, I'd use solids (soffits, slabs, countertops etc) for everything.

On 9/9/2021 at 6:57 AM, 4ndrew said:

Regarding accuracy, this is primarily for visualization, though the more accurate I can be, the better.