HD Pro timber frame feature

jwdvorak

I'm currently using an old version of HD Suite (2017), designing 2x timber framed (post & beam) house + garage (attached, like a duplex).  HD Suite doesn't support timber frame design, I've been faking it using interior soffits; drawing the actual timber frames in Sketchup.  I'm considering upgrading to HD 2022 Pro, as it provides native support for timber frame design.  My question: does HD Pro's timber frame feature auto-place the timbers (posts & beams), or can you move them around to customize your frame (provide support for interior structures, like stairways)?

Thanks,

Woody

On 7/30/2021 at 5:09 PM, solver said:

No Home Designer or Chief Architect has native support for timber frame design.

What makes you think Pro does?

Thanks for replies... Solver, I suppose 'native support' was a poor choice of words.  The HD product comparison chart describes this feature available in Pro, only:

• Manual framing tools for fully editable framing, including joists, rafters, trusses, beams, posts, and more. Create any framing system for your design.

I guess that's what I meant.  So, my point is, rather than drawing 'fake' posts and beams in HD Suite (and not being able to draw custom rafters, purlins, ceiling & roof structure at all), then redrawing the whole frame in SU, I'm wondering if HD Pro would provide the ability to do it all in one place?  Probably a moot point, because I'd guess the timber frame company would likely prefer a SU drawing of the frame alone, rather a HD rendering.  Also, I'm merely an amateur, my frame drawings will need to reviewed and redone by an engineering professional, anyway.  I'm just contemplating whether gaining this specific feature is worth the extra investment?

Any more advice? If you guys wanted to design a TF structure, would you use HD Pro to do it?  Or, do you think I'm better off using the tools I'm already using?

Thanks,

~W

I think you should download the trial versions of Architectural and Pro, to see for yourself which version would serve your needs better.

Architectural has sloped soffits and a custom backsplash tool, that can be put to good use for your purpose.