Import custom object (*.skp) error: SKP file was created in an incompatible software version

jwdvorak

I'm using Home Designer Suite 2017, and Sketchup Make 2017.  I downloaded a *.skp file from 3D Warehouse, it's a SU 2017 version (a boat).  I'm able to open and edit the object in Sketchup 2017, but when I try to import the file into HD, it displays an error.

The error message is: This SKP file was created in an incompatible software version. Unable to import.  Show Details displays:

C:\p4sync\dev\Releases\18\chief\source\SKPReader.cpp(408): Warning #272032575

"This SKP file was created in an incompatible software version. Unable to import."

7/29/2021 9:01:44 PM

Build: 18.3.2.2x64

After that error dialog, another error is displayed: Please select a valid file before attempting to specify Advanced options.  Show Details displays:

C:\p4sync\dev\Releases\18\chief\source\AdvancedImportSymbolDlg.cpp(104): Warning #272032415

"Please select a valid file before attempting to specify Advanced options."

7/29/2021 9:01:44 PM

Build: 18.3.2.2x64

Any advice?  Thanks,

Woody

DJP, that is not true (yet).  There is a warning banner displayed on the 3D Warehouse site, which states: "Heads up! After August 11, SketchUp 2017 models will no longer be available for download on 3D Warehouse unless it was originally uploaded in that format."

Currently, as I browse the 3D Warehouse search results, and click the little Download icon on one of the models, it pops up a selection list of options (see screenshot, attached).  The options are SU model versions from 2021 back to 2017, plus Collada and KMZ files.  Of course, I chose the 2017 version, which I'm able to open with SU 2017, but it fails to import into HD.  As an experiment, I tried downloading a SU 2018 version of the model; I could not open that file with SU 2017, and it also failed to import into HD. 

FWIW, I may simply choose to upgrade HD to the latest version, and this issue may become moot.  But it seems this should be working with the SU 2017 model version.

Thanks for the reply, if you have any other advice I'd be interested to read it.

Woody

screenshot_3DWarehouse.PNG

Doh! When all else fails, RTFM, right?  I opened HD (2017) Help, searched for import, and learned the supported version of SKP file is 2016 or earlier.  So, I guess DJP was correct, but I misunderstood what he meant.  At this point, I suppose I really should think about upgrading...

~W