Copy whole structure to a new plan?

PattyS68

It is not recommended that you use this as procedure for combining two plan files. What IS recommended is that you develop EVERYTHING for a single project in a single plan file. Layers can be turned on or off depending upon what you are graphically communicating. If you developed a terrain plane separately from your structure in a separate plan file then that was just a rookie mistake that new users often make. Be that as it may, you can copy-paste-hold position your terrain data from that plan file into your structure plan file. You are basically causing double work for no good reason other than you did not know. Terrain is always orientated TO the structure. You NEVER move or rotate the structure, rather you rotate the terrain to the structure's orientation, the common "North South" of the plan view. For Magnetic North one uses a "North Pointer" that can be orientated  relative to the North-South of the plan view. You do not need a video to do something that is not recommended.

DJP

@DavidJPotter Thank you for this explanation.  I am a newbie to say the least.  I do not plan to design anything other than the barn/ADU I am attempting now for myself on my property.  You touch upon something I am concerned about and that is properly showing N direction and how to get the building on the 0 x,y,z as I am a bit off. 
Perhaps this is a new topic? 
I will look into all you mentioned :) 

@solver 

I am still working on the pole barn structure you helped me with in your video. 

However, I decided I would like to design the same main building (ADU) with a stick built barn attached.  Basically a garage on a foundation with no slab floor (Gravel only) and a tack room & stalls inside.

This to compare which type I like best after my builder suggested a couple different things.

I saved my plan as a new file and deleted the pole barn.  When I tried to draw the garage on the back and defined it as a garage the structure had no foundation or structure attributes.  Even when I tried to adjust the settings. ( Pilot error I am sure) 

Honestly, I was hoping to retain the main building and start a new plan with the defaults set back to original via copy and paste in hopes of being able to build the barn without having to redraw it from scratch.

I really appreciate your willingness to help :)

@solver  Thank you so much for the video.  It made sense when you said chief holds the original settings after deleting the pole barn.  It really helped me to get the stick built barn underway which I like much better than the pole barn so plan to build this. :)