How do I make a stable door, or a half height door with no frame? ...A gate.

ChrisO

I need a simple hinge-swinging half height gate.  How do I make one, or where can I find one?

The problem is that any door or gate seems to have a lintel over the top. I just want a full-height doorway opening with a half-height door in it.  It's like the sort of walkthrough you get in a bar; the bar-top hinges up, and there is a half-height door underneath that opens the let the barman out of the bar.

34 minutes ago, Rookie65 said:

Try making it from a straight railing and make it panels instead of balusters. Maybe spend some more time with your reference manual as well.

Is there advice in the reference manual regarding hiding this part of the doorway?

image.thumb.png.1f71b81dc0b688370cb1e65e8eb85716.png

Thanks David.  That was really educational.

I guess I made a mistake when I used the term "stable door".  For us in the UK, a stable-door is a two-part door where the top and bottom half can be moved independently. It does not mean that we are dealing with horses.

So, imagine a standard doorway in a wall, and there's a window next to it. But the door is split horizontally at the same height as the windowsill. In my case, the top half and the window will be pass-through with no actual window or door.

image.thumb.png.1dd85e59e30c97786ffd663e5cfc9549.png

Is this interior?  You are way too non-specific about what you are really trying to get.
If it is a bar type look (like your 1st picture), then try this:

1) Draw a full size interior wall, and add a wide doorway (not a pass-thru).
2) AWAY from your doorway wall, draw a wide half-wall, and add a hinged door to it.  
3) Open the half-wall and set it as "no room definition".
4) Now, ctrl-drag this wall into the doorway wall.  You will need to off-set it slightly if you don't want the existing doorway casing to show all the way to the floor.

image.thumb.png.30f73c7611833433ab8514f8ec6e80e1.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Dutch Door.JPG

That's quite a good solution.  Thanks.

It would be nice to be able to remove the top door, but if the door is arranged to swing inside (actually the doors need to swing outwards) then the upper half is partly hidden. Also would be nice to have the "display the door open" option but obviously that's beyond the capabilities of this object.  It's not a serious problem. It is certainly a much better representation of the intended look.

The problem with the railing method is that the opening reaches all the way to the ceiling or beam, and it doesn't look like a door anyway. 

image.thumb.png.26d2f8d1cd9a22baa359bad30abc618d.png

To answer your question; I'm in Vietnam. I'm about 200km east of Saigon.

I own a food court but the business has been bankrupted by COVID. So we plan to start again on a new site, and I am designing the new food court.  

We can only raise about $100,000, and there are regulations about land usage, so most of the place must be built from wood, bamboo and coconut leaf.

Regarding the term "stable door", British people use that name for what you seem to know as a Dutch door. 

10 hours ago, solver said:

This is Architectural. No special symbols.

I'll come back later and explain if needed.

ht1.thumb.png.56092581c36200fa556b9f9362f63e49.png

This is the solution. Great!

But it took a mental crunch to realise that doorways are not just doors without doors.  Huh?  I read the manual 2 or 3 times before the truth dawned on me. In the app, I think that the way the doorway menu item is nestled inside the rest of the door options made me think that it's just another type of door.  And then my understanding of the manual was that I could somehow use the door options to put different doors in a wall. I can't drop anything inside a door, and I can't put a window inside a pass-through, so the idea that I could drop something in a doorway.... Oww!  The impact of the penny dropping was earth shattering!

The second essential bit of information is that the door frame can be reduced in size, and in fact reduced to nothing. I had been struggling to find a door that didn't have a frame (i.e. a gate). Then this video showed a door without a frame. What...? Where...?  I looked everywhere for a door without a frame! But this option doesn't seem to exit in any of the parameter selections.  So it was just by chance that I noticed a tiny extra dimension displayed, and zoomed in. There I saw the very small extra line which defined the width of the frame. So now I could make the frame disappear (just click and drag).  Perfect.

But a small problem remains. There is a line drawn above the door. I don't know what it is. I cannot select it.  I can see the microscopic lines defining the door below (red arrows) but I can't work out what to do with the narrow bar shown by the yellow arrows. Look at the size of it's shadow. 

image.thumb.png.55a18ade2f0313326e707d7b5aa2197a.png

9 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

Is this interior?  You are way too non-specific about what you are really trying to get.
If it is a bar type look (like your 1st picture), then try this:

1) Draw a full size interior wall, and add a wide doorway (not a pass-thru).
2) AWAY from your doorway wall, draw a wide half-wall, and add a hinged door to it.  
3) Open the half-wall and set it as "no room definition".
4) Now, ctrl-drag this wall into the doorway wall.  You will need to off-set it slightly if you don't want the existing doorway casing to show all the way to the floor.

image.thumb.png.30f73c7611833433ab8514f8ec6e80e1.png

This is well worth remembering. Thanks.

Again, as replied elsewhere in this thread, it's necessary to understand that a doorway is not just another door. Now I get it.

And again, it's necessary to know how to remove a door frame. 

But the solution is very interesting.

In real life, the half height wall will need support. The upper left corner as shown will be very weak. I need a vertical post to the beam above to give it strength.

One option would be to use 2 doorways. 

I expect I will use this method for something similar.  I see that I can put a 40cm wide flat surface like a countertop on top of the half wall. Like a bar...  

35 minutes ago, ChrisO said:

This is the solution. Great!

image.thumb.png.55a18ade2f0313326e707d7b5aa2197a.png

Well you could knock me down with a feather!  I can't repeat the same build.  There is now a second top inside the doorway.  I can't work out how to remove it.   :-(

image.thumb.png.a7acb807dba2f3c034a311ce2b5d2fa3.png