Truss framing issues transitioning from scissor to standard truss for end gable and cathedral room

PattyS68

Hello,

I am in the process of working with my county building department to build this Small Ag building with attached ADU. ( the poles in my plan are part of the barn I will finish at when this piece is tackled )

Due to it's size, it did not require engineered plans, only engineered trusses. The county stated I can add a statement that the trusses on plan are for demonstrative purposes only.  That said, they would like to see the framing for the transition from cathedral/vaulted to flat ceilings and suggested balloon framing up to a reduced scissor end truss. 

I have zero design knowledge prior to purchasing this program and have read a few framing/construction books, the 2018 IRC along with the BCSI for codes & best practices, implementing them for my local jurisdiction. 

I have hit a roadblock with generating the wall framing once my trusses are set in place for the area with the cathedral/vaulted ceiling.

• Is there a way to ask the program to balloon frame the end gable wall so that it meets the bottom truss cord and frames all components ( double top plate etc ) 
  • I have tried everything, watched all the truss videos and read the manual section on trusses, still not sure why the walls in that room are not the same as the walls in the other room.
  • The interior appears to display correctly with exception of the transition from the scissor truss to the standard truss from living room to kitchen.  I had to add another truss since there was not one generated directly above the wall. 

the pitch is 6:12 roof & 3:12 ceiling.   

The trusses are all a 14" energy heel.  Including the scissor although it is not drawn properly, I will leave that to the professionals.  Hoping just to have accurate reference and provide call out on plans.  

Thank you for your time 

Truss Framing Issue 7.4.21.jpg

Truss framing issue- interior snip 7.JPG

Plan 7.3 w pole barn.plan

I've not looked at your plan, but will make a couple of comments.

End wall trusses are typically a standard truss and would not match the other interior trusses -- the bottom cord would be flat.

With Pro, you can edit generated framing.

Auto generated framing has no knowledge of trusses since they are manually drawn by the user.

Walls build to the ceiling height of the room they define. Maybe your ceiling height is too high, or maybe your trusses need to be raised?

@solver  Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it.

I may be overthinking the whole situation as I have been known to do that ALOT :) 

I will work on the ceiling height again as it may be in the ceiling plane I generated.  I will watch/read up on this tonight along with manual edit of framing members. 

Regarding the truss type on the end wall, the below picture was mentioned to me for the potential end wall issue.  So this is the reference I was going by.  However, I will bring both types up at my meeting with the county this week. 

Have a wonderful rest of your day and Happy 4th! 

BCSI-End Truss.JPG